Friday 8 May 2015

Katsushika Hokusai


KATSUSHIKA HOKUSAI

The other day I bravely endured the seemingly eternal sheets of rain that fell across Manchester, soaking everything they fell on (including me), to trek from University to one of my fave places up here, the library *waaaaaaayyyyy*. I had a nice little browse, in particular spending a good twenty minutes perusing the Art section, which is where I discovered a rather good book from The Metropolitan Museum of Art, entitled 'Art Is...'. I have the New York version of the book, and it's a truly wonderful little number to have if you love New York, are interested in being exposed to a wide variety of artistic styles, and are curious to see what happens when the two are combined together. Therefore I was very keen to have a flick through 'Art Is...' and subsequently decided to take it out so I could look through it further and jot down the names of artists I like.

Katsushika Hokusai is one of those artists. Born in Japan in the late 1700's during the Edo period, with Edo eventually evolving to become modern day Tokyo, Katsushika was a phenomenally talented artist who depicted traditional and often thought provoking Japanese settings in a truly gorgeous, detailed, culturally influenced and unique artistic style. As a pattern and colour obsessive (my brain just goes wild for that kind of sensory stimulation), I adore and am so fascinated by the way Katsushika incorporated both into his wonderful artwork collection using such gentle, serene colour tones. Also with my knowledge of Japan being somewhat limited, I love the insight Katsushika's artwork gives to us as the spectators, in terms of Japan's history, culture and landscapes. I've never really had a strong inclination to visit Asia, but I find myself some what captivated and ever so intrigued by Katsushika's artwork and it seems to have provoked a desire within me to visit Japan one day and see all the beautiful imagery for myself. 

So as we here in the UK try to get our heads around the results of yesterday's General Election, something which has divided opinion immensely, I'd like to invite you to take your mind off things and clear your head by absorbing yourself in Katsushika's stunning depictions of a culture and life seemingly another world away...

-All images belong to Katsushika Hokusai, and if you want to see and find out more, just click here!-










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...