Friday 22 May 2015

18 Things I've Learnt Whilst Being 18


18 THINGS I'VE LEARNT WHILST BEING 18

Today is my last day of being 18, and honestly I'm actually really sad to see it go. As far as years go, it's been one of the best although not quite for the reasons I was expecting. My year began rather wonderfully with a trip to London, where I had the time of my life with my amazing family, and from there on in it only really preceded to get better and better. Of course like every year, I had my expectations about what would happen to me and like always I got it very wrong. In retrospect, I think I'd conclude that for me eighteen has predominantly been about change. A lot of things have changed in all aspects of my life, some good and some bad, some expected, some completely unexpected, but as I reach the eve of my 19th birthday I can see clear as day that all those changes, every single last one, have been absolutely and resolutely for the best. I needed all these changes, because they've consequently lead me to where I am now, which is basically the happiest I've ever been. 

For me eighteen has been a year which I unexpectedly ended up dedicating to me, in the sense that this really has been my year, where all these changes, events and actions have lead towards making me a better person and building my life up into the life I've always dreamed of having. It's been full of learning more about who I am as a person, making me a happier, more confident and self assured person, pushing myself out of my comfort zone and spreading my wings and seeing what I find. I've got to do, enjoy, try and find all these things that are important to me or that I've been wanting to do or have been hoping to find for so, so long. When I turned 18 I thought I was done with all that developing, and I was pretty content with my life and who I was, but this year has shown me that both me and my life had the potential to be so much more than that I ever dreamed could be possible. There was still some growing and changing left to do, and it's been one heck of a journey but I don't regret not a single minute of it whatsoever. How could I? So as it comes to an end, although I'm so sad to see eighteen go, the nicest thing of all is that I'm beginning 19 as the best version of myself yet, and with a life I'm truly so happy with and eternally grateful to have. Also as if things couldn't get any better, I'm also beginning 19 off with a Cheese Fest too, full of cheesy music and a whole lot of cheese, therefore with the way things are looking right now, I guess it can only get better and so with that, here are the top 18 things I've learnt from this year (apart from the ones I've rambled on about in this post so far...)

1) I'm a very adventurous cook in the kitchen (eg. when I thought adding cider to fairy cake mixture would be a good idea, or when I had to be persuaded not to add beetroot to spaghetti bolognese).
2) How to appreciate, embrace, be proud of and enjoy being single, and just be happy being a one woman show.
3) I love being independent and having the freedom that comes with it.
4) A Levels are waaaaaay harder than university but all that hard work is completely and utterly worth it when you see just where it gets you.
5) Friendship is an amazing thing and I've been lucky enough to make so many new friends this year, as well as see my friendships from before uni get even stronger, and it's amazing to see how despite distance, time and changes, you can see someone again and it's like you've never been apart.
6) Manchester is a ridiculously amazing place that continues to wow me every single day.
7) Sometimes you need to trust life a bit, and  that everything will work out alright in the end (so try not to worry so much!)
8) Modern Family is quite possibly one of the best TV shows ever created.
9) Wear trainers to clubs (a la Manchester style) because then you can go to town with all them funky dance moves. 
10) Accept that the past is the past, and even though it's so nice to remember it, it's also so important to look to the future and what lies ahead, as well as ensure you're making the very most of the present.
11) Keep on going, even when it feels like you can't or like it's the end of the world, because life has some amazing things in store for you around the corner, and anyway the tough times make you so much stronger.
12) If you're not happy with something, be the change. If you want to be healthier, do exercise, eat healthy, if you want a better social life, make plans and organise things, if you want to get better grades, work harder, if you want to talk to that cute guy at the bar, you be brave and go talk. Don't be afraid, override that fear, you really can do it, and often the only person stopping you is yourself!
13) It's okay to be different to everyone else and not follow the crowd.
14) Appreciate your family and the people you love, and every moment you get to spend with them, because you never know when it could all be taken away from you. And when you have to leave them behind as you go out into the world and spread your wings, you'll miss them a lot more than you ever thought you would or could!
15) It really is okay to have frizzy hair, and if anyone makes you feel otherwise, go give their hair a ruffle so they have frizzy hair too, and make them see that the world won't end (*cough cough* Mum *cough cough*)
16) Enjoy all the little things in life, no matter how small, and try and see the beauty in the world around you. Also enjoy those special moments too!
17) Don't be afraid to try new things and step out of your comfort zone, as it's amazing to see just what you can achieve as well as learn more about yourself and who you are as a person.
18) To love and accept myself for everything that I am and everything that I am not, know my self worth, believe in myself and what I'm capable of, and remember that as far as people go I haven't turned out too badly in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...