Monday 14 March 2016

Sweet Potato & Peach Curry


SWEET POTATO & PEACH CURRY

Bit of a weird one to start the week, but bear with me dear readers. So on Saturday night I was absolutely stumped as to what to make for tea. As usual, I had forgotten to defrost anything, and there was no meat or fish in the fridge, also as per usual. All I knew, is that I had been in the mood for sweet potato all day long, so in the end I decided I'd make something with that. However once again, in spite of this recent development, I found myself stumped. What should I do with my sweet potato? In the end I had a good old google, and this recipe came up on BBC Good Food (aka the saviour of modern day cooking and babe of all babes), about a sweet potato and pineapple korma. Obviously I don't own korma paste, though I'm definitely going to invest in some, and I didn't have any pineapple or coconut milk either, so instead I opted for a mixture of curry powder and garaam masala, and in my interesting world of inner imagination, I somehow decided that the perfect substitute for pineapple would clearly have to be peaches.

To me, in that moment, I felt like a cooking Einstein, on the verge of quite possibly the best new discovery in the world of curry since time began. It seemed so bizarre, yet as I weighed up the potential flavours in my head, and what the resulting taste would be, when combined together, I couldn't find any reason not to give this peculiar flavour combination a go. After all, Einstein did once say that logic will take you from A to B, but imagination will take you everywhere. So after I decided on my chosen tea, from there onwards I completely winged it like there was no tomorrow, and in many ways, I suppose that that's the most exciting part. It certainly jazzes up the typical meal making experience, not having a clue how your cooking pursuit is going to turn out.

I'm pleased to report, however, that this particular pursuit turned our really rather well, and I thoroughly enjoyed eating my bonkers but delicious curry. I also enjoyed proudly presenting my curry for my housemate to try. In spite of her initially looking like I'd asked her to eat one of my toes. she gave it a try none the less and was also pleasantly surprised. Naturally there are some tweaks I would make to my original recipe, to give it some extra pazzazz, and I've listed a few suggestions below, if you fancy having a go. But apart from that, my sweet potato and peach curry is actually rather okay, so if you're up for a wild one, and a spot of yoloing when it comes to tea tonight, why not have a good at making this innovative curry and see what you think. Life's too short to be eating chicken tikka masala all the time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOU WILL NEED:

1 x sweet potato
1 x large flat mushroom
1/4 aubergine
2-3 handfuls of frozen mixed veg
1 x purple onion
2 x garlic cloves
1 tsp tomato puree
4-5 individual broccoli stalks
1 x veg stock cube
1/2 can of peaches in syrup
1/2 tub of natural yoghurt (ideally full fat)

SPICES:

1 x tsp Garam Masala
1 x tsp Curry Powder
1/2 x tsp Cinnamon
1 x tsp Mixed Herbs
A dash of Hot Chilli Powder
1 x tsp Mild Chilli Powder
A dash of pepper

* I didn't have coconut milk or peppers or lentils, when I made this recipe, however it would be worth adding both to the curry to further enhance the flavour!*

SERVES:
2

METHOD:

001. Chop up the sweet potato, onion, aubergine, peaches and mushroom into small cubes.
002. Put the frozen veg, broccoli and sweet potato cubes into a saucepan and fill with boiling water. Boil till you can put a fork through the vegetables and they feel soft.
003. Meanwhile pour a dash of oil in a frying pan, and lightly brown the onions, mushrooms, garlic, (peppers) and aubergine in a frying pan.
004. When both the saucepan and frying pan are done, drain the saucepan and add the contents to the frying pan.
005. Boil water, put into a glass jug, add vegetable stock and stir thoroughly.
006. Add the natural yoghurt, vegetable stock, (a dash of coconut milk, a handful of lentils), a dash of peach syrup and the tomato puree, Then add the spices, stir thoroughly and turn onto a low heat, and allow to simmer and thicken.
007. After 20 minutes, the curry will be done (waaaaaay). Serve with rice, naan bread or cous cous, or you could even have it as a soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...