Friday 4 March 2016

Dior AW 2016/7


DIOR AW 2016/7

Check me out. Two blog posts in less than 24 hours. There must be something in the air up here in Manchester, that isn't the rather perplexing and peculiar snow that we've been blessed with today. I  simply had to write this post because I was doing my daily peruse of the Daily Mail online (yes I'm one of those people, it runs in the family), and they happened to have some really great shots of the Dior catwalk show which just so happened to be today, over in the glamourous city of Paree, as part of Paris Fashion Week. Normally I have a bone to pick with high fashion. A lot of the time, I look at the clothes and the way they've been creatively intertwined together, and as much as I can appreciate the craftsmanship, the hand-picked strands of inspiration, the overall artistic vision and intent that's gone into them, I'm always left feeling a bit let down. Or I feel like I'm missing the point. Everyone's raving and ooing and aaaaahing, and I can't tell if they're lavishing praise because it's the given thing to do, or if they're seeing something that my untrained eye keeps missing. 

I don't consider myself to be an extravagant arty type, nor am I one to push the boat out when it comes to fashion, but my creative appreciation is very much a sweeping net that extends fairly wide. In particular I like complimentary or perfectly contrasting colours. A mis-match of textures or a mixture of simplicity and complexity. I like clean lines, geometric shapes, cuts that accentuate the fluidity of curves. I love a dash of Latino influence. I love a healthy dose of the swinging sixties. I like the utterly beautiful, feminine designs which are so unapologetically devoted to everything that's wonderful about women, and what it means to be a woman. Yet I also quite like that androgynous look too. And most importantly, I feel like with clothes, whatever you do, whatever you wear, however you choose to style it, you need to do it right. It needs to make sense. You've got to do it well. I'm always drawn to the high fashion that in my eyes, has a strong identity, is made with such evidential expertise and attention to detail, that's bold and sure of itself, and obviously it has to be oh so swoooooooon worthy too. 

For me, the Dior AW 2016/7 ticked all those boxes. I totally got the hype. It's right up my street. That English-Latino hybrid. The clean cut angular lines versus the elegant flow. The monochrome black, white, grey juxtaposed against eclectic patterns and bold colour choices. The hint of sparkle. The oozing of class. The whirlwind nod to different time periods, from the 1940's through the 60's. The beautiful brogue inspired shoes. The teasing yet reserved necklines. The marriage of femininity and androgyny. And omg, those sunglasses with that opaque black lipstick. What. a. dream. So fierce. So sassy. So cool. I love it. I love it all. This is the kind of high fashion that I want to see. It's strong. It's assured. It's beautiful. It's unique. It inspires me. It ties up everything I love into one perfect collection. So I guess it would transpire that I am something of a hidden Dior fan, in which case I'm off to go get me some round sunglasses, black lipstick and daydream about the multitude of outfit combinations I now want to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...