Thursday 26 March 2015

Zane Lowe Tribute / New Music


ZANE LOWE TRIBUTE/ NEW MUSIC

I've been meaning to write this post for quite a while, or basically ever since I found out that the wonderful, legendary DJ and music God, Mister Zane Lowe, was leaving BBC Radio One after thirteen years on the 5th of March. Now obviously this post has come twenty one days late, but you know what they say, there's no time like the present, so hey ho here we go. I felt like I simply had to write a tribute (even if it's 21 days late) because like so many people worldwide, Zane and his fantastic evening radio show and various music documentaries and shows, have been an integral and instrumental influence in my life. He's inspired me massively over the years, and I feel like I owe it to Zane to thank him for everything he's unknowingly done for me, because although it sounds kind of weird, I wouldn't be quite the same person I am today if he hadn't been a part of my life.

I began listening to Radio One in 2010, age 14, both out of simple curiosity and a desire to listen to a radio station that wasn't full of adverts and the same old pop songs played on repeat. I was also beginning to emerge from the boy band/ pop obsession stage of my life, and I had a hunger see what else was out there music wise, broaden my horizons, expand on my music knowledge. I couldn't pinpoint exactly what it was that I was looking for, but when I first tuned in to Radio One I immediately felt like I'd found the perfect thing to help me. I was heading in the right direction. Listening to Radio One exposed me to a whole host of new artists that I still adore to this day, and genres I never knew I would come to like so much. It was, and still continues to be, a thorough musical education and it felt like I'd finally found exactly where I needed and wanted to be. 

Now in the early days however, I'm ashamed to say it but I didn't like Zane's show.  I just didn't get it or understand it. When it got to 7pm I'd turn the radio off, my fill of music for the day complete with no need for any more. His show felt like a stage in my musical development and exploration that I just wasn't ready for. It seemed to be for people who were truly dedicated to music and knew their stuff inside out, so with me being very much a 'learner' and new to it all, I avoided Zane's show like the plague. But one day I decided to be adventurous, and when it got to 7pm I left the radio on. Two hours later I still didn't quite get Zane's show, but there was something about him that was almost hypnotic. So I tuned in again the next day, and the next, until somewhere along the line it began to become a regular thing, and I somehow found myself liking his show. It took a while to put my finger on just what it was about Zane and his show that I found myself liking so much, but I eventually realised that it was mixture of things.

When you listen to Zane talk about music, it's impossible to ignore the evident passion, adoration and enthusiasm he clearly has for it, and the best thing is it's completely and utterly infectious. Music is intertwined in the strands of Zane's DNA, it runs in his blood, it's an essential component of who he is. He gets music, he understands the intentions and musical make up of every artist he speaks to, sometimes even better than they do. He appreciates all genres no matter how diverse or experimental,  all songs and artists no matter how old or new, and what I love most is that he keeps the magic of music alive. He believes in it whole heartedly, and as a result so do you too. The way Zane talks about music he makes it seem like something bigger than life itself, and on his show as soon as it began he'd make it feel like you and millions of other music lovers had tuned into, and subsequently become a part of, something special. He united all music lovers together at the same time every Monday to Thursday, and somehow transported you to this whole other dimension and side of music. Zane made you see music in a different way, as something special, unique, beautiful, exciting, diverse, important, and listening to Zane it felt like you were on the very cusp of everything. You were very much a part of it. 

Before I listened to Zane's show, I thought I was doing alright in my musical education and exploration, but he showed me that I was missing the mark completely. There was so much more to music that I just didn't get, nor had I explored, and I certainly didn't understand just what music could be and do for me. It was Zane who made me realise that music could be something to be excited about, something to connect with, save me, help me, guide me, make my life a million times better. It was this ever pulsating, ever changing, electric, magical thing that completely changed my life for the better. Zane's enthusiasm and passion inspired me no end and did so right up till his final show, urging me to explore everything and anything music related and never forget how special music is. Because of Zane I began to read music magazines like Q and NME, and they almost felt like gospels. I set up my own music blog to channel and share my ever growing passion for music, I began to explore new artists, genres, music and B-sides on You Tube and Spotify, collect my own CD's to build up a now 100+ strong collection, go to gigs, my first festival, write my first music review. And when I went to Manchester University in September, I finally had my dream come true and got my own radio show, with my aim to 'do a Zane' and inspire people with my own passion for music, introduce them to new music, give air play to new artists, and keep the magic of music alive.

If I hadn't come across Zane Lowe, I honestly dread to think about where my life would be right now, or the person I'd be. Music is one of the most important things in my life, and a massive, vital part of who I am. I honestly don't think I could live without it. I adore everything about music, and I will forever be eternally grateful to Zane for inspiring within me the same passion and enthusiasm for music that fuels him, so Zane, if you should every come across this little gushing post, from the bottom of my heart thank you.

And now to finish things off, I'd love to share with you some music that I'm loving right now...

T-SHIRT WEATHER
Circa Waves

SOMEONE NEW
Hozier

FREAKOUT
Mini Mansions

LEAN ON
Major Lazer & DJ Snake

HOLD MY HAND
Jess Glynne

TURNING BACK AROUND
RHODES

DEAD INSIDE
Muse

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...