Tuesday 29 July 2014

Kasabian // Naughty Boy // Ed Sheeran


--------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I want to rave to you lovely people about some of my favourite songs gracing the airwaves at the moment, because I love music so much so that I just can't keep my passion within me. I want to share it with the masses because music is life and what is life without music because I have no idea and I don't think I ever want to find out.

Music is something amazing. It's magical, it's glorious, it's wonderful, and with so many genres to choose from these days we really are spoiled for choice, and my top three today just goes to show this, and with that, here they are...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1) BUMBLEBEE, KASABIAN

I remember hearing this song for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it had the exact same impact on me as predecessor 'Eez-Eh' did a few months previously. I don't know what Kasabian got up to in the studio when making new album '48:13', and I don't know ingredients they used, when all four of them sat down together to begin the album, to concoct the magic that this album possesses, but whatever they got up to and whatever they did, this album is positively electric. 

There's literally no other word for it. It's unlike anything else I've ever heard in my life. 
It still possesses that magnificent and powerful Kasabian grandeur that they are known for, the sort of music that seems to be bigger than life itself and almost makes you feel like you're part of something else entirely when you listen to it, but it takes it to a whole new other level. And that's probably why the likes of 'Eez-Eh' and now 'Bumblebeee' make for such insanely amazing listening experiences.

'Bumblebeee' in particular is just this massive, explosive, crazy, energy fueled beast of a song that shakes, vibrates and lurches around for it's entire four minute duration without ever stopping and then it spits you out on the other side feeling breathlessly alive. It's just magic, and by god I can only begin to imagine what it sounds like live. It's the sort of song that reminds you of just why music carries the impact that it does and I hope Kasabian know, which I'm sure they do, that in '48:13' they have created a collection of music that they can be mighty proud of.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) HOME, NAUGHTY BOY FT SAM ROMANS

Oooooh now I really really really love this song. 
Produced by the insanely and diversely talented Londoner Naughty Boy, who is just some sort of music master placed on this Earth by the music Gods, and featuring the gorgeous, soulful, engaging and slightly Sam Smith esque vocals of the equally talented Sam Romans, 'Home' is, to put it simply, one amazing song.

It's got a classic, gorgeous, old school feel, it's got this chilled, laid back groove and momentum that carries it along and it's one of those songs that seems to make perfect sense. It's like you just know that the construction of 'Home' was done by someone who knows exactly what they're doing, and it's someone who is capable of taking all the individual segments, from the vocals, the percussion, the beats, the instruments, the tempo and assembling them together in exactly the right order for maximum effect. 

And that person is Naughty Boy, of course. 
I think everybody must have heard of him by now, what with his growing collection of chart smashers, and that's the reason why I think hearing 'Home' is such a pleasant surprise, because it's a deserving chart success in it's own right yet it's whole sound and vibe and approach is so different from anything that we've heard from Naughty Boy before. Of course there are links of similarity, but 'Home' is just something else entirely and it's so refreshing and promising to see that it comes from someone who you wouldn't expect, as well as showcasing Naughty Boy's fantastic versatility as an artist.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

3) THINKING OUT LOUD, ED SHEERAN

Last week I was watching late night MTV because although I knew that I ought to get to bed, I just had to peruse the music channels right then and there. And because of this, I stumbled across Zane Lowe's brand new series called 'Soundchain', in which he interviews a series of different artists to get to the root of where it all began for them in terms of musical influences, so say for example it began with the Backstreet Boys which then lead to Oasis, maybe, possibly, okay maybe not, but you get the idea.

Now this particular episode of 'Soundchain' happened to focus on the super talented Ed Sheeran, who has just released his second and highly anticipated album 'Multiply', the follow up to the insanely successful 'Plus'. And it is through this that I discovered one of many gems on Ed's new album, 'Thinking Out Loud' and boy am I glad I did. 

It's much more like the sound of Ed's previous album and early EP songs, what with the soulful guitar, the impassioned vocals that hold such gorgeous emotional depth and those simply beautiful lyrics that are always so detailed, intelligent and fueled by a witty and empathetic mind such as Ed's. 
'Thinking Out Loud' has got life, it's got huge amounts of soul and passion and it's an ode to love both old and young that you just know you'll be playing twenty, thirty, maybe even forty years down the line. It's just such a gorgeous song, and when Ed's smooth vocals bring the lyrics to life you can't help but be infected but that tidal wave of (happy) emotions too. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...