Sunday 20 July 2014

Foster The People


When I went to Optimus last weekend (still can't believe it happened!! ^_^) the music Gods were shining down on me and my sister because they let us finally see one of the few bands that we both adore like crazy, and that is the fabulous Foster The People.

I've loved them ever since I heard 'Pumped Up Kicks' way back in 2011 (okay it was only three years ago but a lot has changed since then...) and then 'Helena Beat', and 'Don't Stop (Colour On The Walls)' and when I finally got my hands on 'Torches' which is still one of my absolute favourite albums to whack on. Their sound is just so... I can't even put my words to it. It's this crazy ass chilled yet energetic, happy, euphoric, irresistible eclectic melting pot of all these different sounds, influences, voices and it's unlike anything I've ever heard before.

It's just wonderful and it's the sort of sound that unites people who love all these different types of music together. It's got that special kind of magic about it.

And when Foster The People, aka. Mark Foster, Mark Pontius and Cubbie Fink disappeared off the radar for a couple of years I honestly felt so so sad to see a band so incredible, so unique, so wonderful exit the music scene when their entrance had caused such a stir. 
Even though I knew it was likely to be due to their focusing on a much anticipated second album, the three year gap between 'Torches' and eventual release 'Supermodel', instead of two, made me worry they weren't going to return and that the transition to a second album, normally the moment of truth for most acts with a hugely successful first album, hadn't worked for them.

    

BUT I WAS WRONG. And how glad I am about that, because I honestly would say that
'Supermodel' is just as good as 'Torches', if not better (shhhhh I didn't say that).
It take a little bit of getting used to and a few spins for it to really take effect, unlike 'Torches' which
instantly captivates you from the moment your ears first tune into that gorgeous music, but my god
is it good and it just gets better with every listen (especially when you're listening to it loud loud loud).
I'd recommend songs for you to listen to but they're all just so good! 'Supermodel' is no doubt a progression from 'Torches' but it's more like a move to the next-door-but-one house down the street. It's near enough to their original sound but not exactly the same, and if you loved 'Torches' you will love this album too. 

And that leads me on to my next point, seeing Foster The People live.
If you love 'Torches' and 'Supermodel' and Foster The People in general, you NEED, repeat NEED, to get yourself down to your nearest festival where they're playing (check the dates on their website) of which there are plenty this summer. If you even marginally like Foster The People, seeing them live will literally blow your mind. I'm a big fan of theirs and was insanely excited to see them live, but even I didn't expect them to be as a good as they were, neither did my sister.

Their stage set was mesmerizing, Mark Foster is such a captivating, handsome and equally mesmerizing force on the stage and his passion for his music is the biggest joy to watch, it's so evident and infectious - at one point when during the Optimus set he had to stop for a few minutes for breath!- and finally the music. That music. WOOOOOOOOWWWWZZZEEERRRZZZ.

Foster The People's back catalogue works amazingly live, like you can't even begin to imagine how amazing those songs sound live. They're out of this world good. My sister and I are still raving about the set one week later. SO GO GET YASELF DOWN TO ONE OF THEIR GIGS ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...