Tuesday 6 September 2016

Before Sunrise

Image result for before sunrise tumblr

BEFORE SUNRISE

Watching the Before Sunrise film trilogy has been an ambition of mine for the last three years now. I only came about it by chance, after listening to the film reviews on Radio One. They were talking about a film called Before Midnight, and my peculiar disposition for poetic word strings meant I was naturally intrigued by the film as soon as I heard its title. I simply had to find out more about it. Even now, I still remember the presenter talking about the premise of the film, which in itself already had me hooked, and how Before Midnight was the final instalment of a preexisting film arc. She went on to briefly summarise the trilogy, comprising of Before Sunrise, Before Sunset and Before Midnight, and to me, it sounded like such a beautifully simple, endearing and intriguing concept. How each film plots the gradual evolution of two people, Jesse and Celine, across a lifespan. I knew instantly, that I would like this triology. I knew instantly, that it had the capacity to greatly impact my life. I knew instantly, that I needed to write down the name of these films because one day, when the time was right, I would finally sit down and discover the magic of them for myself.

I don't know why I decided to watch Before Sunrise now, after all this time and these many changes and transitions in my life. I can think of plenty of times over the last three years, when I could've looked at that note I scribbled down, and decided that that was the right time. I can think of so many times when I needed to watch this film trilogy. So many times that would've been perfect. I had good reason to. Deciding to begin this film trilogy now of all times, doesn't really make too much sense, because nothing of significance has happened in my life. There was no reason for me to watch this film, other than the simple fact that I wanted to. I think I just always assumed that I would watch this trilogy at a time of great significance in my life. A time where big, amazing, meaningful changes and events were happening. Something to equally match and mirror that expectancy. And in many ways, now doesn't feel like that time. Yet the more I think about it, the more I realise my subconscious must've been onto something. For although my life may not be full of tidal waves and seismic shocks, there is another kind of change going on. A subtle one. Kind of like when the sun rays gradually break through the clouds, and they get stronger and stronger and stronger. Something within me is starting to change, and it feels like it's for the better too. This feels like a turning point.

And I think that's why watching Before Sunrise now especially, has had such a special impact on me. The one I always knew it would. That's why watching it has felt so significant. So important. So moving. So inspiring. I won't forget the time I first watched this film. For those of you who don't know, 1995's Before Sunrise is the first film in the Before... trilogy, all of which were directed and written by Richard Linklater, the genius behind 2014's Boyhood. The story follows American Jesse, played by Ethan Hawke, and French Celine, played by Julie Delpy, who are both in their twenties. They happen to meet one day, June 16th, whilst travelling by train across Europe. Jesse is heading to Vienna, ready to catch a flight back home to America the next day. Celine is heading to Paris, after visiting her Grandma in Budapest. A chance decision on Celine's part leads to their meeting on the train, and as soon as they begin talking, it becomes evident that there is an immediate and rare connection between the two of them. They speak with such ease, openness, trust, vulnerability, confidence, assurance, beauty. It is as if they have always known each other.

Initially, Jesse and Celine are headed in different directions, and so their premature goodbye is imminent. That is until Jesse boldly asks Celine to get off the train with him in Vienna, and spend the next twenty four hours exploring the city with him. In many other scenarios, this impulsive, daring, courageous idea wouldn't bode well for a multitude of reasons, yet when it frames this evidently special and rare moment between two strangers, it suddenly seems like the most logical and perfect idea in the world. And so the rest of the film is spent following in the steps of Jesse and Celine, as they explore the city of Vienna together in the space of just twenty four hours, interacting with its culture, people, places. and embedding their fleeting presence within it. Leaving markers of their blooming, beautifully unique relationship within fragments of the city. The notion of we were here. And it's strange because in terms of plot lines, this film doesn't have too many. That isn't what drives this film. I could tell you the entire plot and you would still be none the wiser about this incredible film. If anything, you might be more reluctant to watch it.

The magic of this film, lies in its dialogue, and how it connects these two strangers together in mind, heart, and soul. The majority of Before Sunrise comprises of this endless stream of conversation between Jesse and Celine, and that is the very thing that makes this film so endearing and significant. To have an entire film expertly and faultlessly carried, merely by the continuous dialogue, is really quite something, and it also attests to the importance and realism of this dialogue. Much of it was written by Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy themselves, and it is so humane, so real, so rich. In Before Sunrise, we see the humble art of conversation take centre stage. It is placed at the very core, and hence it becomes a gravitational point around which the worlds of Jesse and Celine revolve. And from this vantage, we see the premise of conversation from so many different perspectives. We see the way it binds. The way we sometimes falter and stumble over our words. The things we say and the things we don't. The way it paints a picture of who we are as people. The power it affords us to reach out to another mind, another, soul, another body, and make a connection. The way it helps our soul to find those that are like-minded. The way it can transport us from the past to the present to the future. The way we can talk about the concrete. The way we can talk about the abstract. The magnificence of dialogues and monologues, and how they have the power to completely change your life. The immense joy and simple pleasure we take away from the acts of self expression and listening.

In this modern age, technology gives us many an excuse to disengage from human interaction. Our words can become cold and lifeless and misunderstood, misused, when transported via the means of a computer or a mobile phone. Technology, amazing as it is, just cannot replace the magic, depth, warmth, power and beauty of conversation in all its glory. Watching Before Sunrise makes me yearn for conversation. It has made me appreciate it perhaps more than I have ever done in my life. It makes me hopeful that one day I too will meet somebody with whom I connect with so instantaneously, and with whom I can share that endless joy as we talk about everything and anything. Where talking is fuelled with that gorgeous energy and urgency to share every last waking thought that sparkles gallantly across your mind. Someone who I can talk to and listen to infinitely. I don't think anything ever makes me feel quite as content as a really good conversation does. It's almost as if this whole other realm of existence and possibility opens up, something that I feel Before Sunrise captures so well.

Another thing I loved about Before Sunrise, is how Jesse and Celine meet on a train, and the spontaneity that allows their relationship to grow. I read an interview with Richard Linklater, and it explained how it was important to him that Jesse and Celine meet whilst travelling, because travelling allows us to be more open to things outside of our usual realm. And I can't help but feel that that is so true. That transitory notion of travel, and the way both ourselves and our lives become suspended within these figments of motion, or worlds so different from our home. It almost seems to defy space and time and logic. Anything can happen. For fifteen minutes, an hour, a day, a week, a month, it feels like we're one step ahead of life instead of one step behind. It's the most perfect time for something meaningful to happen. And I don't know if Jesse and Celine's meeting is merely chance, or the weird and wonderful workings of fate, but irrespective of that, it makes me wonder who's path will cross mine as I journey throughout my life. I'm excited about who I will meet, and the places I will go, and I love this film for giving me that hope. I love this film for believing in the same magic of possibility that I do.

I love Celine for her wild unruly hair, strong feminist beliefs, aptitude for adventure, her intelligence, honesty and fiery sense of humour. I love Jesse for his thinly veiled romanticism, masked by cynicism, his boldness and courage, his shyness, his need to live so fully and his ability to follow his heart with complete faith and trust. I love the stunning backdrop of Vienna, and all the cinematic, lush, awe inspiring shots that remind you how the most simplest of things can be the most beautiful and meaningful. I love the celebration of youth, and the excitement it exudes. I love the celebration of friendships, relationships and connecting with somebody. I love the honesty of Jesse and Celine when it comes to expressing who they are, and how they feel, and where they want to go next. I love how this film makes you realise that a life can completely change in merely a minute, an hour, a day, for we have no idea who or what is waiting around the next corner. I love how this film perfectly captures the notions of spontaneity and impulsiveness, and the way they make life so exhilarating. I love the milkshake poem. I love the scene on the ferris wheel and in the sound booth at the record shop. I love the romantic simplicity of the ending, and how we're left with that hopeful wonder and anticipation: will they meet again at that time and that place? Will this be the start of the rest of their lives together? Will life return them to one another or will it get in the way, as it so often does? It reminded me of the novel One Day, which ends by going right back to the start, right back to that place in time where it all began. The premise of beginnings is so devastatingly beautiful.

Before Sunrise is one of those films that has the power to stay with you long after you've watched it. It's so faultless. So ingenious. So special. So hopeful. And the fact that there's two more films to follow, meaning we get to further follow the story of these affecting and brilliant characters, who we come to care for so deeply, is such a treat. In this trilogy. the already magnificent Richard Linklater has really created something so very unique and precious. What an extraordinary filmmaker. So clever at reflecting the simple magnificence embedded within everyday life. And at 20 years old, to find a film like this, well it just feels like it has the capacity to completely revolutionise my life. It opens my life right up into an open highway full of excitement, hope, possibility. It makes me realise how far I've already come, and not only where I want to go from here, but how I'm going to get there. There's still so much I want to see, do, experience, feel. Life is only just beginning, and I can't wait to find out what happens next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...