Thursday 7 April 2016

An Outfit A Day #2


AN OUTFIT A DAY #2

I thought it was about time I did another 'An Outfit A Day' post after the last post I did way back in January, was actually rather successful (much to my complete and utter surprise). I didn't think anybody would care about what I choose to wear every day, or intrigued enough about my personal style. Yet it turns out that some of you lovely dear readers were, so thank you a million times over. You know how to make an already prone to blushing girl, blush even more with happiness. Ever since that first post, I've been continuing to make a conscious effort to take a picture of my outfit before I leave for the day. Just before I'm about to leave, typically in a late, bumbling, forgetful rush, I pick up my beloved little compact camera and take a snapshot of what I'm wearing, then I'm gone, gone, gone right out the door and blown away on the breeze.

As with the last post, 99% of the time I don't take the photographs with an ulterior motive. It's just in that particular moment, I feel an overwhelming need to capture this very particular outfit in all its glory. I never know if it will make it on to a blog post or not, but that doesn't even matter. All that matters, is that I have physical evidence that on that day, I was wearing a socially acceptable outfit that not only reflected my own personal style to a T, but also could possibly be somewhat stylish. Or at least enough so to not make people squint their eyes in sheer shock. But once again, the photographs soon mount up, and at some point I decided another post was definitely on the cards, so voilĂ  here were are. 

In the photographs you can probably see that there's certain recurring pieces that always seem to pop up, or particular stylistic choices that I always seem to be drawn too. For me personally, it totally blows my mind seeing what I wear in a format such as this, because I dress myself so absent-mindedly that I often don't take a moment to fully appreciate the outfit I've constructed, or the common themes that always seem to arise in my outfit choices. You don't realise that you're subconsciously always leaning towards certain pieces of clothing, or prone to wearing you clothes in a very particular and distinctive way. Yet when you see all this photographic evidence before you, it suddenly becomes very apparent. For example, this time round I've loved wearing my black chunky boots with black leggings or jeans, in order to make my legs look a little bit longer. I've been wearing my black high waisted H&M trousers to death, always making sure I tuck my top into it so I can accentuate my figure. I'm still doing the ankle boots and Doc Martens combo, because I am yet to invest in more normal length socks. I've been choosing more neutral colour palettes, and trying to keep things minimal and simplistic, as inspired by my lil sis who is something of a born again fashionista. The silver hoop earrings are always a permanent feature now, as is my Zara trench or H&M leather jacket, and interestingly I've been expressing my creativity more through my necklace and shoe choices. 

It still amazes me to see how my style has evolved over the years. I often laugh with friends and family who bore witness to my teenage years, and the horrendous stylistic choices I blindly made. I can't look at old photographs without wanting to melt into the ground in a puddle of embarrassment, or instead time travel to younger me and get her to really properly look in a mirror, and question her life choices. Some of the most important things I've learnt fashion-wise over the years, are to 1) work out what suits, complements and accentuates your figure, 2) within the clothes that suit you, what designs best represent your personality, the version of you you want to express, align with the inspiration you gather from the world around you, 3) don't be afraid to experiment with outfit combinations, and 4) be confident with what you wear. I used to think people were talking proper bs when they said that confident is the best accessory, but it turns out they aren't. If you wear clothes that make you feel like a gangsta' killa' sassy b.o.s.s, then externalise that confidence and take it with you wherever you go. Walk the walk of an individual who believes in their fabulousness and knows how damn sassy they look right now. With every footstep forward, convey the message that you not only know exactly who you are, but that you love who you are wholeheartedly in all your perfection and imperfection too. Life's waaaaay too short to worry if that woman over there thinks you need to invest in some socks that cover your ankles, or that guy thinks your eyebrows are too fierce, or if that person is wondering why you thought it was a good idea to match stripes with florals and a pair of tassled ankle boots too. At the end of the day, the opinions of others don't matter. It's all about you, and celebrating how amazing you are. And don't you 4get it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HERE WE GO...












 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...