Friday 10 July 2015

The Wise Words of E.E Cummings


THE WISE WORDS OF E.E CUMMINGS

As you may have noticed, to make up for the substantial lack of posts over the last month or so, due to me being surprisingly busy, I have made it my aim this week to write a new post for this beloved blog of mine (which is a year old next week!) every day this week so far. And because of the previous lack of postage a-goin' on, it means I've had this massive backload of ideas accumulating in the depths of my mind and on the 'Note' app on my iPod Touch as well (which contains all said ideas that brew in my mind so that I don't forget). One of those ideas was to spend a considerable amount of time reading E.E Cummings poetry because I've stumbled across his breathtakingly beautiful words numerous times  before over the years, but for some reason have never taken the time to actively seek his work out, even though I knew for a fact that I was going to love it. So when I was wondering what to write about today, E.E Cummings happened to pop into my mind, as E.E Cummings does, and I've subsequently spent the last hour or so trawling the depths of the internet for his poetry and quotes, lingering over every gorgeous word and steadily falling in love with his vast body of work.

For those of you who didn't know, myself included, E.E Cummings was a notoriously successful and critically acclaimed American poet, author and playwright, or should I say word wizard perhaps. He enlightened the minds, broadened the vocabulary and altered the perspectives of millions of people worldwide via his serene, emotive, dazzling, almost 3,000 piece wide body of literature, throughout the course of 20th century and beyond. E.E Cummings passed away in 1962, aged 67, after a lifetime devoted to exploring and untangling the realms of literature, and transcribing it so stunningly for us to enjoy. But lo and behold his mesmerizing literary presence still lives on through the power of his mighty words, and continually influences, captivates and enlightens generation after generation. I myself have always been a sucker for the beauty that lies within creation, whether that be beautiful words, literature, art, music... and so E.E Cummings is a poet whose work mesmerized me instantly. I just adore the way he describes the world, human feeling and emotion, his experiences, and it not only satisfies this yearning within my soul but it also makes me start to see the world, or think about my feelings, in a different way. And I love that. 

So now having unwittingly introduced you all to the incredibly well spoken and gushing inner English Lit nerd that permanently resides inside me, and has gotten a gazillion times worse since I studied Lit at A Level, it would be an absolute pleasure to share with you some of my favourite E.E Cummings poems and quotes I've found, and hopefully you'll end up loving them just as much as I do (which evidently is rather a lot, so it appears...).

All images are linked to their original source and if you want to find out more about E.E Cumminngs just click here!

     




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...