Wednesday 22 July 2015

My Copenhagen To Do List


MY COPENHAGEN TO DO LIST

This summer I'm lucky enough to be breaking free of the conventional holiday mould and heading out to Copenhagen, capital of the beautiful northern country of Denmark, nestled near the likes of Sweden and Germany, for my hols. I've been lucky enough to have my family let me tag along with them on their adventure up north, something I'm immensely grateful for, as being a student it's hard finding the money to spare for holidays abroad, and even though I'm getting older and a tad more maturer, I still love spending time with my wonderful family. So this summer I'm super lucky that I get to do those things, and most of all that I've got the chance to further explore my beloved Europe and visit a completely new country and city. It's so new in fact, that one of my best friends had to show me where Denmark actually was on Google Maps as I had not the slightest clue in spite my doing GCSE Geography, but rest assured my perspective on geography has now been updated. I can't stress to you lovely readers how excited I am to visit Copenhagen, as I'm very much a city gal and I love exploring new cities and cultures, meeting the people, taking an abundance of photographs, being an architecture nerd, and re-imagining a new life for myself for a week or so in which I live and am immersed in the vibrancy and every day life of said city. 

Quite a few people I've spoken to have visited Copenhagen at some point, most through inter-railing, and each has sung its praises, subsequently raising my excitement levels even further. Furthermore, because Copenhagen lies in a part of Europe that I've never visited before, with the majority of us Brits naturally choosing far sunnier climates for our holidays, in pursuit of much missed sunshine, hot weather and a healthy dose of vitamin D, it means being submersed in a completely new culture, new language, new currency, new everything really. It's a big step into the unknown, and we're already starting to feel the differences with regards to preparing for our holiday, as for once in our lives we don't need to buy swimming costumes, sun cream, summer clothes or sunburn lotion. Copenhagen's climate is reportedly very akin to that of the UK, and potentially even wetter, windier and colder, if that was even possible. So packing for this holiday is essentially like packing to visit a colder sibling of the UK, something that seems so strange considering this is our summer holiday. But anyhow, as I said, I'm just incredibly excited to get out to Denmark and discover this new, amazing, beautiful country and culture. As much as I adore the sunshine and warm weather, and chilling by the pool or lounging on the beach, as I get older the appeal of using holiday time to explore new countries and cultures and really get out there and see the world gets increasingly more appealing. I'm quite a restless person, I love to always be doing things, my brain constantly yearns for stimulation, hence why travelling and discovering the beauty of this world, all these new things, is very much my idea of perfection.

So before I set off on my travels with my fam, heading to colder climates, I thought it would be a fab idea to write a to-do list of things I want to do whilst I'm in Denmark, to help me really get the most out of my experience, and then compare my list with what I actually end up doing when I'm back in the UK. It's also so that I don't end up falling prey to my fantastic predisposition of forgetting important things I need to do, as I often have such an abundance of daily thoughts that something normally has to give, but that's another matter entirely. So as I previously said, lovely people, here is my proposed to-do list, and hopefully it might give you a bit of inspiration should you be heading to Copenhagen sometime soon, or on an as yet undecided or unknown date in the future!


-all images are linked to their original source-

TO DO LIST

1
Go to the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art in Humlebæk, 30 minutes north of Copenhagen by train, in particular to visit the spectacular, incredible Yayoi Kusama installation there.

2
Visit the beautiful Tivoli Gardens in the city centre, reportedly the inspiration for Walt Disney's Disneyland theme parks, both in the day time and the night time, when it's stunningly illuminated.

3
Try an authentic Danish pastry, made by the Danes themselves and probably gawp at how delicious they are. 

4
Explore the evidently gorgeous University of Copenhagen Botanical Gardens!

5
Pop over to Malmo in Sweden for the day and get a taste of Swedish culture so I can say I've been there, take lots of pics, try proper Swedish meatballs, and at the request of one of my besties, do a serious spot of Swedish head banging, as tribute to our year 9 selves (don't ask).

6
Have a browse in the National Gallery of Denmark, make my inner art nerd happy.

7
Take a walk in the gorgeous Rosenborg Castle and Gardens.

8
Take in the artwork and culture of Copenhagen's hippy, independent Christiana district.

9
Have tea in the summer sunset down in Nyhavn, home to all those infamous, pretty, technicolour houses.

10
Admire the stunning, modern architecture in the up and coming Ørestad district.

11
Obviously do a spot of shopping in the famous Stroget shopping district (would be rude not to!)

12
Take a walk around the Meatpacking District and Vestebro and stop for some delicious Danish cuisine.

13
Squeeze in a visit to Svanemølle Beach so that we get to experience some sand at least.

14
Explore the Værnedamsvej street which is inspired by the beauty of Paris...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...