Friday 31 October 2014

This World...


This World...
-WARNING, DEEP & CHEESY POST ALERT-
Earlier on I went for a walk at a local countryside park with my Nana and Grandad. It wasn't one of those blindingly beautiful days, you know, blue skies, scorching sunshine, the days that leave your mouth open in amazement as soon as it greets your eyes. It was a subtly beautiful day. The sky was a pale blue mixed with apricot and silver tones, the clouds faintly embedded within it. We were walking past tall arching trees draped with leaves of caramel, auburn, rouge, gold, with beams of pure sunlight weaving through the gaps. There were bushes of feathery emerald leaves and those that were a lighter shade, and they were so crisp and defined. There were fields of pale gold corn and barley gently swaying in the breeze, with small fluffy rabbits dotted here and there. In the horizon we could make out the motorway with cars gliding by, their headlights little glittery specks of silver, the motorway lights hazy circles of lazy orange. If we turned 360 degrees the countryside landscape that greeted us was so gently stunning that it repeatedly took my breath away, and I let it because I felt I had to repay my gratitude for such a sight in some shape or form,

It was a typical sight. Nothing too special. You wouldn't spend your life savings to see it. And yet it was simply amazing. Every time I tried to take a photograph, I failed miserably because my lens could not attune itself to the beauty it was trying to capture. I tried and tried and tried, but the photographs I got were nothing like the landscape that greeted with my eyes. But then I suddenly thought to myself, maybe that's the point. Maybe you aren't meant to be able to truly capture the beauty of the world in a photography. Maybe the whole point is that you're not supposed to spend your time trying to capture the present in one still image. Maybe get a souvenir of a beautiful moment yes. But life really is meant for living, and if we're spending all our precious time trying to capture one moment, we turn our back on the bigger picture that surrounds and encompasses us, and we're not really living. 

This earth is so incredibly beautiful, to the extent that us humans will never truly be able to comprehend just how beautiful it really is. And we're so lucky to live in a planet that was crafted to such an aesthetic extent. You only have to turn your head to see it. Life is beautiful in spite of everything that may try to suggest otherwise, and the whole point of our existence is to really embrace, appreciate and enjoy it. We aren't here for that long when you think about it, so we need to be out there, embedding ourselves within this life and absorbing it, letting it caress and inspire our souls, instead of spending all our time trying to capture it and find out its secrets, because we never really will. Life, this world and it's beauty is elusive.

A couple of years ago, I realised that my expectations of life were too high. That what I required to make me happy was too unrealistic and unreliable. I was looking for happiness in all the wrong places. And then one day, I was walking home from school, and it was such a stunningly picturesque afternoon. I had my music on too, and as I looked around me, and took in the world around me, I realised that I was content, happy, at peace. And since that day I don't know why, but I have been able to find the beauty in every scene that greets my eyes. Every part of the world that I visit, I can always see the beauty somewhere, rain or shine, old or new, and I never fail to appreciate it. I always take in the beauty of the world that surrounds me, because the simple fact of the matter is, it makes me feel happy, and more importantly, it makes me appreciate the fact that I'm alive. That I am so lucky to be living in a world like this. And ever since I began to appreciate and notice the little pockets of beauty in the world around me, and let those be the little things that my inner happiness and serenity depends on, I have honestly never felt so good, and life has never been better.

☼ ☼ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...