Sunday 13 November 2016

Something Like Magic


SOMETHING LIKE MAGIC

'Maybe you're like me. Maybe you were waiting in the same way I was. For that person. That light. That meaning. That reason. Wondering around and living your life, all the while taking glances over your shoulder to see if it was on the horizon. Creeping up behind you. Right there by your side. When will it come? Will it ever come? Many an hour wasted with these roundabout questions reverberating tirelessly through your mind like a record on repeat.

The solitude stops being something to fear. Something to hide. And instead becomes a friend. It's familiar, and it's comforting in many ways. You start to expect it, accept it, plan your life with it factored into the equation. And you don't mind because you can feel that it's making you stronger. Making you better. I always knew that when I loved, I wanted to love the person for whom my love was always intended. It wasn't meant for just anybody. It never was. I often wondered when, where, how I would find my love. Would I ever find it. Life works in mysterious ways, and try as I may, I always feel like I'm one step behind.

When I thought about my person, I didn't know who they would be. It felt a little bit like trying to look ahead when there's a fog on the horizon, and the rain is lashing down. You know there's something more. You can feel it. Sense it. Anticipate it. But for now it remains shrouded in mystery, and you must wait instead for the fog to blow away on the breeze, and the showers of rain to evaporate.

So maybe you were stood at one end of the road, and I at the other. And neither of us knew it. Maybe you were content and happy, but a little bit restless and impatient at the same time. Maybe you were ready to stop being alone, and leave the solitude behind you. Ready to let someone in. Strong enough to carry the weight and responsibility of love on your shoulders, in your heart, in your soul. Maybe, just maybe, we were feeling the same way all along. Wanting to be hopeful yet unable to turn a blind eye to the nagging feeling that there has to be something more than this.

If they say our hearts were split in two, so that part of our time on this Earth was spent locating the pieces of us that are missing, then why have we not found each other yet? Why are we still looking? All these questions, and no answers. Until one ordinary day we meet. And we look at each other as if to say hello. Something about you is familiar. Something about you is right. Something about you makes me hope you'll stick around for a while longer. 

I look at you, and it inexplicably makes sense. I've stumbled across what could quite possibly be one of the greatest discoveries of my life, and I never saw it coming. And if you had asked me if this was what I was expecting, in many ways I would say no, for how could the answer be you, lovely you. How could I have looked out across the dance floor, and have your eyes be the ones looking back at me? Yet simultaneously, I would say yes, because this is how I always hoped to feel. You are the person I always hoped to find. Both realities co-exist with one another, side by side.

And you're older. Wiser. You have lines on your face when you smile that cosmic smile. But all those things, they're so endearing to me. And I feel like we meet somewhere in the middle, and that's a nice place to meet, for it means we both stand on equal ground. Our union would be meaningful and fair. There's so much you could teach me. There's so much that I could teach you. Sometimes I think we use logic and algorithms to seek out love, but experience has so far taught me that love doesn't seem to work like that. It hides and manifests itself where you least expect it to be.

Love doesn't want to be defined by anything else, other than the power it yields when two souls find one another in the scope of this world, and together they become one. I don't know if your past if full of almost but not quite's, but I know mine is. And I know when you stood on that road, you didn't expect to find me waiting on the other side. You probably never saw me coming, in the same way that I never saw you. And maybe I could have been born sooner. My parents waited six years. But the time spent waiting made my very existence possible, and it allowed me to become shaped into the person I am now. A person who could find you, love you, make you happy, bring something unique into your life.

My youth may be apparent, but it's doesn't make me any less of a person. It doesn't make my mind less sharper. My experiences less meaningful. My opinions and views less informed. There's so much more to me than the number of years I have lived on this planet, and the same goes to you too. I believe that life works in strange and wonderful ways, and in this lifetime, I like to think we were meant to find one another. The stars aligned so that our crossing could happen. The fates have a greater plan. They always do. And so right now, I'm trying to become the person I'm meant to be. For myself. For you. For this world. I'm weaving together the pieces of myself until I find the right pattern.

I know you've been waiting longer than I have, but I promise you, this is worth the wait. The best things in life always are. For a reaction to happen, a rainbow of factors need to fall into place and at just the right time. And I feel like our time is coming. I am coming for you. I hope you are coming for me too. Life is helping me to become the woman you always dreamed of. As for you, I already know. I knew it as soon as I first saw you. I see it now, still, when I look at you. A man who lights up the world and makes it a better place. Who fills the lives of others with joy and meaning and goodness. How fitting that he should be born on the day the night shines aglow with light and colour and warmth and magic.

So until our day comes, what more can I do except ask you to wait for me, in the same way that I am waiting for you. To please stay. Don't give up. Don't lose hope. To believe in the possibility and know that there is someone out there who is waiting to love you, and make you feel so happy and valued and content. I will find you. Or maybe even you will find me. The fog is evaporating, the wind is blowing, and the light is shining. With every foot step we close the distance, until one day we will stand side by side, hand in hand, a heart of one with intertwined souls, forever more.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...