Saturday 29 August 2015

10 Things I'm Loving Right Now


10 THINGS I'M LOVING RIGHT NOW

The last few days or so have been a little bit crazy for me. I seem to be here, there and everywhere and though I'm not complaining at all in the slightest, as I love being busy, it is nice to finally have the time to process everything I've seen and done. I've been reading lots, watching films, seeing friends and family, listening to lots and lots of music, drawing, baking, volunteering, getting lots of blog inspiration, experiencing new things, exploring new places across the country as well as visiting places I already adore too. Lots of things have been happening and it's just the way I like things to be. I can be rather restless at times, always in pursuit of new things to do, see, learn, explore, inspire me, stimulate my mind, ignite my creativity, so even though I love those lazy days as much as the next person, nothing contents me more than when I'm being the human equivalent of a busy bee. So with that, I thought I'd share with you the top ten things I've been loving this last week or so, just to give you a flavour of what's been going on in my world lately and to remind myself of the wonderful things I've experienced lately. It's a right mix match of things, but all have been some what significant and special to me, or have impacted me in some way. And I can't wait to get back to regular posting next week too, so keep your eyes peeled as I've got some fab things to share with you lovely, lovely people!  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHAT I'M LOVING...

001. Afternoon Tea
For my ma's 50th birthday last week, we took her to the zany, brilliant sketch in London for afternoon tea as a special birthday surprise. Having read about it on the wonderful Ellie's Favourite Things a while ago, I thought it would be the perfect way to spoil my ma and show her how much we love her. I won't say too much about our experience for now, as I plan on doing a separate post vair soon, but what I will say is that though it did cost a bit, that afternoon tea was one of the best things I've ever done in my life. Hence my love for afternoon tea is now sky high, having never experienced it before, and so every time the clock reaches 4, 5 o'clock, I have to resist the urge to whack out the finger sandwiches, the delicate little cakes, the endless cups of tea and have afternoon tea all over again. Us Brits know how to do it right!!!

002. The lights and buzz of the city
As you know I went to London the other day. Every time I go, I always begin by feeling overwhelmed by everything. The cars, the people, the noise, the sheer size of the city, the fast pace of life. But by the time I leave, I always end up feeling so inspired, refreshed, alive, revitalised, creative and excited about life. The city always ends up stealing my heart. This photo was taken on Monday evening, on one of the many bridges that cross the Thames. We were walking across the bridge at dusk, the sky a rain soaked grey, the wind soaring past my face, traffic racing beside me, and I looked out to see London expanding out on the horizon around me. The gherkin, Big Ben, the Shard, the London Eye and countless other buildings as far as the eye could see, all illuminated in the dark sky by a sea of golden lights. It was an entirely average day, an average sight I suppose for many people too, and yet there was something so magical, breathtaking, dazzling, electric, alive about it. You wouldn't wish to be anywhere else except there.The city stretching out before you like that with all the possibility, life, electricity wrapped up within it, and you realise you're a part of it all too. Right there within the heart of it, the city is yours for the taking... It's magical.

003. The impending arrival of autumn
Although it is still resolutely summer, and we should right now, in theory, be experiencing the hottest weather of the year (still waiting for that to happen), all I can think about is autumn. And much to my delight, over the last couple of days I've noticed how the leaves are starting to turn gorgeous shades of bronze, gold, ruby red, terracotta, meaning my favourite season is now just around the corner! In my opinion, no season is better than autumn. That cosy, warm, beautiful autumnal feeling. The dark nights, big coats, patterned scarves, roast dinners, puddings and custard, the Bake Off final, new beginnings, new year. Lights, love, friends, family, cute things, walks in the park, boots, red noses, endless cups of tea, the warm colours that surround you, the excitement of winter to follow. I bloody love autumn and I just cannot wait to experience my favourite season all over again.


004. Bridget Jones's Diary, Her, Calendar Girls
The last couple of weeks I've watched some rather great films, some by chance and some from that film list I told you about a few weeks ago. These three are the top three right now, probably until I watch Roman Holiday again or get round to watching all the other films that I want to see! I watched Bridget Jones with my friends the other night and it was wonderfully funny and uplifting as always. I relate to Bridget on so many levels, heck, if you want to know what I'm like in real life, think Bridget Jones but with better cooking and you're most of the way there. I love this film for many reasons, but most of all because it gives me hope if Bridget can find her happy ending, maybe one day I will too. Her was a film I read about in the paper last year, and the concept sounded so quirky and different that I knew I just had to watch it, especially as it stars the crazy gorgeous Joaquin Phoenix too. It's about a man who falls in love with his computer operating system Samantha, which unlike operating systems now, has an identity as well as the ability to speak and think for herself. It sounds bizarre but it's so thought provoking and unique- definitely worth a watch! And lastly I stumbled across the brilliant Calendar Girls last weekend by chance, and decided to give it a go. Starring the incredible likes of Helen Mirren, Julie Walters, Penelope Wilton, Celia Imrie, aka. the very cream of British acting, the film was so wonderful and moving from start to finish. It left me wishing I firstly lived in Yorkshire, and secondly that I was best mates with Helen Mirren.

005. Memphis, The Musical
My sis is obsessed with musicals, hence why as a result, I have been very lucky in that through her, I've been able to see lots of different musicals too. Memphis is a musical that we all went to see for my mum's birthday, and honestly I think it just might be the best musical I've ever seen. I didn't know what to expect when we went, but it was just crazy, crazy good from start to finish. The music, the lights, the storyline, the sets, the dancing, the characters, the live band on the stage, the Shaftesbury Theatre itself... and don't even get me started on Beverly Knight and Matt Cardle in the lead roles. Both were insanely talented, such momentous vocal talents, fabulous acting ability and being able to watch them was an absolute honour. However for some rather absurd reason Memphis is closing soon, so even if my gushing hasn't convinced you go, go, go see this fabulous musical before it closes!! And with tickets starting from only £20, it's so, so worth it!

006. Audrey Hepburn: Portraits of an Icon Exhibition, at the National Portrait Gallery
I've been wanting to go to this exhibit since late last year, when I first read about it on the Daily Mail Online. I didn't think I'd be able to get to London to see it, however in a twist of fate, my Mum decided to go to London for her 50th so our trip coincided with the showing of the exhibition. On the day we went, we got up super early and queued outside the NPG in the rain for forty five minutes till it opened, and luckily we managed to bag tickets (£9 for adults, £7.50 for children and concessions). The Audrey Hepburn Exhibition didn't disappoint in the slightest. Seeing all the different photographs of Audrey, from her childhood to her final years, as well as accompanying information about her life, was a true privilege. Audrey was such a phenomenal, beautiful, wise, kind, intelligent, loving woman, an inspiration to us all, something that comes across so strongly through the exhibition. I loved seeing all the different photography, the references to Dior, Roman Holiday, Vogue, the different fashions and hairstyles she adopted throughout her life, and upon leaving I felt this desire to live a life inspired by Audrey. I wanted to be more graceful, more elegant, more sophisticated, do more good in the world, be a nice, caring, giving person, embrace my femininity, enjoy being a young woman, make something of myself and live a life I can be proud of. It sounds crazy, but that's the effect of the magical Audrey Hepburn, and if you love Audrey too, and happen to find yourself in London, then I strongly urge you to pay a visit.

007. Feeling creative
Walking around London, as I said, is something I always find super inspiring. When I was stuck for something to do, I decided to walk from Tottenham Court Road down to Spitalfields Market, taking in all the beautiful architecture, the buzz of the city, the different people passing by, the changes of scenery, wandering down different roads in exploration, admiring the beauty and vibrancy that surrounded me. It was so much fun, and I really do believe that walking is the best way to truly experience a city in all its glory. My creative juices were very much alive and stimulated during my visit. The architecture around Holborn, the endless books in Foyles bookstore, the artwork and photography in the various art galleries I visited, the artwork on the streets and buildings of East London, the quirky shops, the lights of the city, the various fashion, the music I heard here and there... all of it was so irresistible to me. I couldn't wait to create. It was so brilliant, feeling that urge to unleash all this brimming creativity inside of me. My mind was alive with all these ideas, thoughts, things I could do, anything and everything felt possible, and when I get those surges of creativity, it feels like fuel for my soul. I love it.

008. The people I'm surrounded by
The older and wiser I get, the more and more I come to love, appreciate and value the people I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by, or have chosen to surround myself with. It's not so much that I didn't feel these feelings towards them before, it's just that now I find myself feeling increasingly thankful that I have all these people in my life. That I have the best, most loving, bonkers, amazing family who love and welcome me unconditionally. The old friends who have always been by my side all these years, navigating the ups and downs of growing up together with me, who I would be lost without. The new friends I've found and made, who've brought things to my life I didn't even realise I was missing and who mean so, so much to me. The friends I've been lucky enough to welcome back into my life again, our friendship only strengthened by the passage of time. Every day I feel so lucky that I have all these amazing people in my life, but this week definitely more than most.

009. The beauty and peacefulness of the countryside and sea
The other weekend the fam and I hopped in the car and had a quick two day break in Devon. I've been going to Devon at least once a year ever since I was a baby, It's such a special place to me, a second home, but sometimes I think I fall guilty of taking that beautiful, beautiful place for granted. So this time I went, I made a conscious effort to really appreciate everything I saw and everywhere we went, especially as I normally live absolutely nowhere near the sea. This particular photo was taken when we went for a cliff top walk at a place called Berry Head, near Brixham, at the moment when I realised how grateful I was to be in such a stunning place. We were right on the edge of the country, overlooking the pure blue sea stretching out to the horizon and beyond. The sky was clear, no clouds in sight, the sun was softly shining, the grass and flowers adorning the cliffs were blowing gently in the breeze, people were sat on the rocks gazing out into the distance. It was so calm, peaceful, tranquil, beautiful. I had no worries or cares, I felt a million miles away from my every day life, and I felt so incredibly lucky that get to I live in a country as amazing as this. When there's so much conflict going on in the world, to find that little pocket of calm amongst it all was a true joy.  

010. Before I Go To Sleep, SJ Watson
The other day I was wondering what to read. I was bored with the books I already have, having read most of them at least three times over. I wanted something new, different, good. It was as I was searching that my mum handed me this book, Before I Go To Sleep, seeing if I'd like to read it as she'd read it herself and thought it was rather good. She said it was a psychological thriller, a mystery kind of book, aka. the kind of genres I normally avoid for some peculiar, absurd reason. I didn't plan on giving it a go initially, but I was aware that Nicole Kidman starred in the film version of the novel, so I decided it couldn't be that bad. So I read a couple of pages, just to see what it was like, and obviously I loved it. In fact, once I started it I just couldn't put it down, and four days later I'd finished. I was left speechless by the sheer talent that had gone into producing this brilliant, addictive, deceiving, extremely thought provoking, cleverly written mind game of a book. To give you a brief summary, the book is about a middle aged woman named Christine who gets amnesia for reasons she can't remember, and loses her memory every night before she goes to sleep. So every day her husband Ben fills in the blanks for her, however things start to change when Christine's doctor starts helping her regain some memory and urges her to write a daily journal. It's only then that we start to realise things aren't all as they seem, and that those who Christine trusts might not be telling her the whole truth... It's a really interesting storyline and subject matter, and I loved how unpredictable the novel was, as well as the questions it raises about the importance of memory. Although I love those books that are somewhat predictable and easy to read, my favourites have always been those that grip me so completely, draw me right in and make me think, make me see things from a new perspective, change me in some shape or form. This is one of those books, and irrespective of your favourite book genre, give this amazing book a go. I promise you it won't disappoint!  

And on an ending note, I'd love to share with you the song I'm absolutely luuuurrrvviinng right now, Something by The Beatles. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...