Tuesday 8 August 2017

Little Things In London


(the best spontaneous photo I've ever taken!!)

LITTLE THINGS IN LONDON

A few weeks ago I went down to London.

I saw my sister, and her brilliant drama show called Cyrano de Bergerac, starring a phenomenal actor called Soroosh Lavasani. I watched my queen Stevie Nicks, as well as The Lumineers and Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, perform to hundreds of thousands of people on a balmy July evening in Hyde Park. I saw Hammersmith high street aglow from way up high. I took an early tube over to West Ham to meet my old housemate. We had cobs and builders tea, as we pondered our lives and futures in a greasy spoon cafe off Barking Road.

I walked through Aldgate and Brick Lane in the pouring rain with my camera, soaking up the culture and creative energy. I walked through even heavier rain up near Islington, Barbican, Farringdon and Hatton Gardens, munching custard donuts to keep me going. I looked at the BP Portrait Award 2017 entries in the National Portrait Gallery. My sister and I sat in St. Martin-in-the-Fields church and listened to the most incredible, ethereal, magical choir and orchestra practice.

We wandered around the back streets of Covent Garden, and took in the colourful vibrancy of Seven Dials. We stumbled across a £5 pizza place round the corner of Shaftsbury Avenue, and walked down the roads in the evening light. Rain soaked us to the bone, and left us feeling so magical and cosy, ready to snuggle down in our pyjamas in the warmth.

I had a delicious Spoons breakfast, and wondered down Kensington High Street with my parents, past the Olympia and Hammersmith High Street, all the way to Holland Park. We looked at the Dutch Garden, the Kyoto Garden, and the Design Museum. It was bliss. And I took the best photo of my life (see above), merely by chance. Oh, and I also found out I passed my third year of university too.

I had delicious Thai food in a pub called The Latymers. I sat at the top of One New Change shopping centre and watched Wimbledon. And I wandered through the British History Museum, and Hyde Park in the sunshine, with all those beautiful sunny flowers, bobbing boats and friendly ducks and geese...

And on the way, I took all these many, many photos, in an attempt to capture the little details that illustrated and punctuated my adventures. Snapshots of London in her hidden beauty. Quirky bits and pieces, the sights you don't always see. The more I go to London, and the more I explore the city, the more compelled I feel to capture the untold story. And celebrate the sheer wonder and diversity of the many stunning sights you can find in our great capital city.

It fills me with such joy. So much joy.

And so I thought I'd share some of my favourite photographs with you.
Let me know what you think!

Visiting London? Looking for something different?
The Londoner
Visit London
Time Out London Blog
A Lady In London

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


























No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...