Friday 24 April 2015

Vogue Covers


VOGUE COVERS

On Wednesday I did what I always do on Wednesdays up here in Manchester and made my way up to Central Library in the sunshine, to take a browse at the books on offer (of which there are sooooo many to choose from). I stopped going to the library back home because the librarians there seemed to just hate teenagers, but as someone who loves books to a ridiculous amount and constantly feels the need to be reading something, and without breaking the bank too, the library is essentially my spiritual home. So naturally when my friend suggested we join up at the library in Manchester back in February, I jumped at the chance and like I said before it's something of a weekly ritual for me because I just love reading new things, gaining new information, exploring my literary horizons so to speak.

Now on this particular visit I happened to wander around the art and design section, and what should catch my eye but a book entitled 'Vogue Covers; On fashion's front page', edited by Robin Derrick and Robin Muir. I picked it up out of curiosity and am so, so, so happy I did because it's literally a bible of some sorts, filled from cover to cover with all these gorgeous, beautiful, inspiring images that have graced Vogue magazine over the decades. The covers range from the sublime art deco-esque illustrations of the 20's and 30's right through to all these iconic photographs from the 60's through to the 00's of truly stunning fashion icons, like Kate Moss, Jean Shrimpton, Naomi Campbell and Twiggy. Every page is a source of mesmerising artistic inspiration and I'm love with every image I come across. It's also so interesting to see how fashion has evolved over the years, intertwining itself with the trends, technologies and influences available to keep on the forefront of modern times. What constituted as 'high fashion' back in the early 1900's, and how it was conveyed through the media, is so different to what high fashion is perceived as nowadays, and despite how much I love the fashion industry I've grown up with for the most part, it does make me long nostalgically for the fashion industry that existed almost a century ago. So to celebrate the old, the new and everything between, here are some of my favourite covers from the book....


-All photos belong to Vogue/ Conde Nast and are linked to their original source-

   
 April 1918                                                       December 1917
June 1922                                                          February 1924

May 1924                                                       January 1926

July 1928                                                           July 1929  

October 1930                                                    February 1931

December 1935                                                      April 1938

January 1940                                                    December 1940

March 1945                                                 November 1947

June 1950                                                 August 1957

June 1962                                                                   May 1963

July 1965                                                      May 1975

December 1987                                                January 1990

March 1993                                                       May 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...