Monday 2 February 2015

Simon Claridge, Diamond Dust


SIMON CLARIDGE, DIAMOND DUST

On Saturday I was walking around Manchester city centre with my family, who came up to see me for the day (we had the most amazing cake and tea combo at this cute lil' cafe, and we went to the Coronation Street tour like omg can life get any better than that?!). Anyhow, it was as we were walking down Deansgate that we happened to pass an art gallery, and in the shop window was the most magnificently bejewelled, dazzling piece of artwork that you ever did see. It was a large monochrome image of the iconic and timless beauty Marilyn Monroe, studded with millions of tiny little sparkling crystals, and me being the half human half magpie that I am, was instantly captivated by the glittering work of art before me. Well actually, make that I was walking and I could see the sparkle out the corner of my eye, so I did something of a moon walk back through the crowds so that I could stop and see what it was, and find out the genius behind this amazing creation. 

The creator in question is British artist Simon Claridge, who is something of an art god with everyone from Kate Moss to Rod Stewart being completely enamoured with his stunning artwork, and his new Diamond Dust collection featuring previously unseen Fox images of Marilyn Monroe, is set to launch his star even further into the artistic stratosphere. The collection comprises of six monochrome silkscreen prints, adorned with sprinklings of diamond dust to honour Marilyn's dazzling career in Hollywood, as well as the glamorous star that she was and still continues to be. Each image is a true privilege to look at, and I love how the nostalgic, timeless magic of old Hollywood is preserved in the collection through use of monochrome imagery and the diamonds themselves. It's a clever and effective idea, and a fitting tribute one of the most famous, beautiful, iconic females that ever did live, as well as the infamous, inspiring note of wisdom she imparted, a favourite of mine being 'we are all of us stars, and we deserve to twinkle'. Obviously being a student there's no way I could ever afford a piece from the Diamond Dust collection, but a girl can dream, or likewise spend many an hour stood outside said Manchester art gallery, admiring the way the soft light hits the diamonds and illuminates both them and Marilyn to life.

(all images belong to Simon Claridge)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...