Wednesday 22 April 2015

Ten Things I've Learnt From My First Year of Uni


TEN THINGS I'VE LEARNT FROM MY FIRST YEAR OF UNI

As my first year of uni slowly comes to an end I've found myself thinking a lot about everything that's happened to me over the last year. Going to university is nothing like I imagined it be but in the best way you could imagine. It's been amazing in an infinite number of ways that I never would have thought could be possible. This time last year I had an idea in my head of what to expect from the whole experience, founded from various things I'd read and heard from numerous sources, but honestly the whole 'me going to uni' thing felt like something that would never actually come true. Even the morning I woke up on the day I moved out, I remember still feeling like it wasn't all real because right up until my parents left me in my new room, everything I'd done in preparation for uni felt like something I was doing just because I had to. It felt like I was just going along with something, playing a role set out for me, with my heart only half in it the whole time. I wanted to be there but I didn't at the same time, however when I then realised there wasn't a lot for me back home any more and that this really was my1 future and a step that had to be made, I decided that all I could do was embrace it all, and embrace it I most certainly did.

A lot of people have an idea in their head of what uni is like, I know I certainly did, and for quite a while I felt like I had to somehow try and live up to this uni student stereotype and do the whole uni experience 'the right way'. But somewhere along the line it occurred to me that there really is no right or wrong way to do uni. Being on my course especially, which is filled with so many different people from different backgrounds and circumstances, also helped me to realise that there isn't one kind of student and one kind of life you can lead at university. Being at university, as I've discovered like so many others, is one of the biggest learning curves you will ever go on. It's a period of self discovery, with university essentially giving you everything you need to do just that and catalyse that discovery into motion. People take what they choose to from uni and conduct their experiences as they choose. You build your experience up yourself, using everything that's there on offer for you, and it really is exactly what you choose to make it. Changes are made with or without realising, crazy and wonderful things can happen, and the life you always dreamed of having somehow becomes yours. And one of the best things is that by the time you finish, your story will be unique to you. No-one else's story will be quite like yours, and I think that's actually rather wonderful. 

So as you can probably tell, I have quite a big soft spot for university, and as my first year is almost done and dusted *cry cry cry* I thought I'd share with you guys ten things, out of a list of of millions, that I've learnt during my time here so far.....

-WHAT I'VE LEARNT-

1) Say yes to everything where possible because some of the best things I've done so far (of which there are a hefty few) have happened because I thought to myself 'oh why the heck not' and just said yes.

2) Everyone says it, but really do join some clubs or societies even if you don't end up sticking at them for long, because it's just fun to try new things or keep up with things you used to do back home, as well as meet new people.

3) Skype is a gift from the gods and is amaaaaazing for contacting family and friends from miles and miles away. It's so easy to do and when you end the conversation (which is always the hardest part), it feels like you've literally just been in the same room together and like you've just seen your loved ones (which you have in a way), and it's a fab way to curb any homesickness or friendsickness.

4) Make sure you take the time to explore your new home and see what there is to do, as well as get familiar with where everything is and what it all looks like. If like me you've grown up in the same place your whole life, and subsequently know it like the back of your hand, it's a little bit disorientating moving somewhere completely new, so getting to know the city better both helps you to feel a little less lost and make it really feel like your new home.

5) Don't be afraid to talk to people and strike up a conversation, and talk to anyone and everyone even if it seems they couldn't be more different. Nine times out of ten they're more than willing to talk back, and it will make you feel a whole lot better. Admittedly it can be super hard to do at first, and harder still when everyone appears to know each other already or have their friends, but you've just got to be brave my friend because anyway who doesn't love gaining a new friend right?

6) Try and initiate things with your new friends/ flatmates and start doing things together as quickly as possible, even if you still don't know each other that well, whether that be going to park, town, clubbing, bars, flat dinners, movie nights, baking, sports.... I met my friend Anilah on my first day in uni when I went over and spoke to her, and within half and hour of speaking to her I suggested we walk into town ad have a look around together, and she is now one of my best friends up here. The day after I suggested a group of us go to the park in the sunshine, which we did and it's just nice because it makes you feel less alone, and like everything really is going to be alright!

7) Try not to go home too often because I found that by doing that, I came to feel a lot more comfortable and at home in my new city, as well as a lot less homesick, then some other people I know who went home more. It forces you deal with any homesickness, boredom, loneliness etc. by getting out there and doing something, whether that be going into town, chilling with your flatmates, arranging things with your friends, exploring the city, doing your work.

8) It's okay not to be a big drinker or likewise drink no alcohol at all. When I started uni I was petrified that I would have to get plastered at any social occasion and drink vast amounts of alcohol till I was absolutely wasted, something that just isn't me. But I've since come to realise that peer pressure is something that is so easy to deal with just by saying no, and that when it comes to alcohol at the end of the day 1) you are in charge of what you drink and how much alcohol you choose to put in your body, no-one else, so do what you're happiest doing, 2) you don't always need it to have fun (I've actually been out completely sober) and 3) don't be afraid to stick true to your beliefs or likewise experiment a bit, try new drinks, find your limit.

9) Keep a loose weekly budget just to keep things in check and give you an idea of what you're spending your money on, as well as making sure you're not spending more than you can afford to. However at the same time don't be afraid to go out and do things, or likewise try to keep yourself in check and find a happy medium where you're savvy with your money and can subsequently do some, maybe even all of the things you want to without breaking the bank. 

10) Just enjoy it, and don't compare your life to other people's so much. You've worked so haaaaard to get to uni, so embrace it, have fun, explore, discover, meet people, do fun things, do crazy things, make things happen, try new things, take opportunities that come your way, enjoy your life and everything and everyone in it, chill out, work hard when needed, be happy, make changes that will make you happy, be independent, be creative and just make the most of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...