Friday 12 August 2016

Nana Carmen's Spanish Omelette


NANA CARMEN'S SPANISH OMELETTE

The other day my Nana & Grandad called me up to invite me round for the day, and naturally they tried to lure me in with the promise of delicious food, just like the always do. Now I don't want you getting the wrong idea here- of course I don't need bribing to see my grandparents, and they know that as well as I do. I love them to the moon and back. But I can't deny that going round to their house is always something of a massive treat, as far as food is concerned. This is also something they know only too well, and there is an important reason for this. I've mentioned a couple of times on le blog before, (eg. in this post here), that whilst my Grandad hails from good old Kent, the Garden of England and all that, my Nana hails from Galicia in Spain, somewhere near Santander to be more precise.

This interesting nugget of information is important, because my Nana's Spanish origins means she is the renowned cooking queen of my family. Did someone mention needing dessert? Oh look, Nana's casually made two crumbles and a pie for good measure. Inexplicably hungry after that three course meal Nana casually prepared? Oh there goes Nana making you some fried potatoes as you munch on that plate of digestives she just flung on your lap. Did someone say there was a family get together happening next weekend? Oh fancy that, Nana's just whipped up 3 vegetable lasagnas, 10 meat lasagnas and a Shepard's pie too, even though only 16 people need feeding (and I'm not exaggerating with this last one). I think you get the idea.

When it comes to the kitchen, my Nana really is in her element and even walking around the countryside with her, it becomes evident what a pro she is when it comes to food. This is a lady who can spot a sage plant a mile off, who knows which berries are poisonous and which aren't, who grows her yearly runner beans in a specific plot in the back garden, who is known to go apple scrumping (basically throwing large sticks into apple trees and catching the apple trees as they fall) in the local park every Autumn time. Just being around her is an education in itself, and I greatly appreciate and treasure the time I spend around her, learning all these little snippets of information about the world, food, nature, the art of cooking. How to get the most out of a chicken. How to make hearty, healthy soups. How to cook potatoes the right way. How to make the bae of all baes that is empanada. How extra virgin olive oil is a gift of the gods. I soak it all up like a sponge, every little bit that I can, and it in turn makes me a better cook myself, as does it make me view food, cooking and nature itself in a completely different way. I'm more appreciative, I'm more respectful, I'm more knowledgeable.

Over the years I've been very lucky in that, being one of Nana's grandchildren, I've been subjected to hundreds upon hundreds of her cooking pursuits, whether I'm hungry or not. Even the other day, she managed to get homemade breaded fish, Spanish rice down, and sticky toffee pudding down me, even after I'd been moaning to my Grandad about how not hungry I was, and silently, poignantly wondering if I would ever feel hungry again. This is a woman with many talents, or so it would appear. Many times I have remarked to my Nana that she needs to get all these recipes and tips of hers into a cook book, and share it with the world so that they too can experience the wonders and joys of Nana Carmen's cooking. Currently this idea still seems to be stuck in the pondering phase, so till that day hopefully comes, I thought I'd share with you this lil gem of a recipe that I managed to coax out of her the other day.

Nana casually made this heavenly babe of a Spanish omelette for me the other day, and it was so damn tasty that to go back home without the recipe seemed absolutely bonkers. It's a traditional recipe, oi oi, it only takes 5 minutes to make, it's cheap, it's Instagram worthy and it tastes so good that your taste buds will be exploding with such joy it will be like a symphony went off in your mouth. Now how about that. So if you're wondering what to have for tea tonight, or lunch tomorrow, or even breakfast (oh the versatility of the omelette), why not take a gander and have a crack at this yourself? Go on. Unleash your inner Nana Carmen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

3 X POTATOES

1/2 RED ONION

2 X LARGE EGGS

1/4 OF A CHORIZO SAUSAGE, DICED 
OR 6 CHORIZO SLICES CUT INTO 
SMALLER PIECES

METHOD

001. Peel the potatoes, then cut into fine slices (around 1cm thick or less so that they cook in the frying pan) and wash. Pat the potatoes dry using kitchen towel.
002. Slice the onion and chorizo into small pieces. It's up to you how much chorizo you want to use!
003. Heat up a splash of extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. When it's warm (and not bubbling or spitting), add the potatoes, onions and chorizo.
004. Put a plate or lid over 3/4 of the pan to help lock in moisture. Cook until the potatoes have started to get a bit of colour.
005. In a bowl, whisk the eggs together using a fork. Turn off the hob.
006. Use a spatula to lift out the contents of the frying pan, leaving the oils and juices still in the pan. Put contents in the egg mixture and stir together using a fork.
007. Turn the hob back on, medium heat, then tip the mixture back into the frying pan. 
008. After a couple of minutes, when it looks like the top side is starting to firm, get a plate similar in size to the frying pan. 
009. Take the pan off the heat, cover it with the plate, and flip over so that the omelette goes onto the plate, cooked side up. 
010. Slide the omelette back into the frying pan and cook the remaining side, using the spatula to check.
011. When both sides are a nice golden brown, turn off the heat, slide the omelette onto a plate and season with a dash of salt and pepper. Then marvel at how clever you are, take a pic for the old IG, and devour like the food luvin' monster I know you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...