Friday 26 August 2016

August Music


AUGUST  MUSIC

Hello dear readers, I hope you're all well and enjoying this glorious summer weather as much as I am. I've even got my toes out, it's that nice today, so summer must really be well and truly in the air. I can't quite believe that August is already almost over. It feels like I haven't properly appreciated it, and secretly I'm kind of hoping that this rewind button will pop up from out of nowhere, so that I can go do a Coldplay a la The Scientist and take it back to the start. I've been waiting for this summer for so long. I can't even begin to count the amount of times I was at uni, slogging my way through an assignment, revising laboriously for an exam, trying not to fall asleep in lectures, doing my food shopping at Lidl, getting soaked in that good old Mancunian rain, bleaching the toilets, hoovering my room, trying to resist laying idly by and doing absolute nothing, and all this time just wishing so badly that it was summer already. I don't think I've ever anticipated a summer as much as I did this one.

And honestly, it's been a right corker of a summer. I've loved every single minute of it, and I'm so happy and proud and satisfied with all the things I've managed to squeeze in and accomplish. It feels like I've done so much, seen so much, (ate so much), met up with lots of people, spent time doing things I love and make me happy, visiting new places, trying new things, pushing myself out of my comfort zone, doing things to help other people. So much has changed in such a short space of time. Last summer, great as it was (I'm still dreaming about Copenhagen), I felt a bit like I was stuck in a rut, a little bit lost, and my heart wasn't always in it. This summer, however... well I guess you could say it's felt like my summer. Everything I've done, I've done it for me, nobody else. A gift from me to me. I've been trying to make my soul and heart happy, in whatever form that may take, and it's really been absolutely amazing. I know that I will always remember this special summer, for as long as I live. It will be a bit like Bryan Adams' Summer of '69, except that it will be Summer of '16, and though it may not be quite as catchy, it has still been just as good. If not better. Sorry Bryan.

So to celebrate this funky, glorious, happy summer, I've thrown together a playlist of all the songs that have caught my attention lately. All the ones that have been scribbled down in my notebook to look up at a future date, as well as a few I've found through actively scouring le internet, in search of gems to bulk up my already burgeoning iTunes library. Admittedly, most of them are golden oldies because as I so often find, there's just so much good music already out there, and when you stumble across some of those timeless wonders it's impossible not to rave and swoon and want to show the world how dazzling they are. They deserve just as much appreciation as those equally fabulous new tunes and artists, making the music industry just as exciting now, as it was back then. So the random mix I have for you today includes Dionne Warwick, Sister Sledge, Amy Winehouse, Otis Redding and Etta James, bringing in that motown and soul. There's the Ramones and Ram Jam adding that rock and roll electricity. DNCE, Nelly, Boyzone, The Doobie Brothers, for that feelgood factor. Old school Kanye and Fleetwood Mac, a hint of Latino from the Orishas, and exciting new beauties from Izzy Bizu and Billie Marten. 

It's such a mash up, and all the songs are just top notch masterpieces in their own right. They also make me want to relive summer all over again too, but I guess they'll just have to get us dancing, boogieing and singing into September instead. So with that, make a brew, nab some hob nobs, take a listen and see what takes your fancy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*TUNES FOR DAYS*

THEN CAME YOU
DIONNE WARWICK & THE SPINNERS


LISTEN TO THE MUSIC
THE DOOBIE BROTHERS

GYSPY
FLEETWOOD MAC

IT'S MY PARTY
AMY WINEHOUSE

MAYBE IT'S A GOOD THING
KT TUNSTALL

MR PITIFUL
OTIS REDDING

A LO CUBANO
ORISHAS

GALADRIEL
BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST

ROCKAWAY BEACH
RAMONES

MAIN STREET
BOB SEGER

WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH
BOYZONE

LITTLE BIT OF LOVE
JACK JOHNSON & JOHN CRUZ

THINKING OF YOU
SISTER SLEDGE

HEY HEY WE'RE THE MONKEES
THE MONKEES

BLACK BETTY
RAM JAM

TWO PRINCES
SPIN DOCTORS

CITY LIGHTS
THE WHITE STRIPES

STORMY WEATHER
ETTA JAMES

A SUNDAY KIND OF LOVE
ETTA JAMES

WE DON'T CARE
KANYE WEST
(listen here)

AUSTRALIA
THE SHINS

PINK AND WHITE
FRANK OCEAN

LES FLEUR
4HERO

TOOTHBRUSH
DNCE

WHITE TIGER
IZZY BIZU

MILLIONAIRE
CASH CASH & DIGITAL FARM ANIMALS FT NELLY

LIONHEARTED
BILLIE MARTEN

FRIENDS
FRANCIS & THE LIGHTS FT BON IVER & KANYE WEST
(listen here)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...