Friday 26 February 2016

Cinematic Inspiration


CINEMATIC INSPIRATION

A couple of weeks ago I was watching a film, namely The Education, featuring the brilliant Carey Mulligan, and I couldn't help but get completely and utterly caught up in all the visuals, the storyline, the essence of the film, everything. Afterwards, it left with the most distinct feeling that one very magical thing had happened: I had been truly and irrevocably inspired. And not in that wham bam look a lightbulb just lit up way, or that see ya later mate, off to go take on the world way either. It was the kind of inspiring that seems to work its way into your veins and slowly but surely reach your soul, which it then delicately taps into and ceases to leave. You're left feeling like some tiny little part of you has been made that tiny little better. You feel like you're suddenly looking at the world through clear, bright eyes, with a fulfilling sense of hope and satisfaction. Things seem to feel more familiar, more relevant, more enchanting. I don't know. It's a peculiar feeling.

The more I thought about it, the more I started thinking about all the other films that have created that imprint on me, and made me feel that special kind of magic. The other films that I watched and identified with almost instantly, feeling almost relieved that fate had somehow brought this piece of creative goodness into my life. It's amazing the extent a film can impact you, and the way it can reshape the way you view the world, the way you think about things, the way you think about yourself. It's amazing how those ninety or so minute of moving imagery, dialogue, sound, interaction, sequential events, can end up meaning so much. Even if it's purely that it leaves you knowing what pair of shoes you want to buy from the shops tomorrow, makes you want to start listening to a certain band, cheers you up when you'd been previously been feeling down, makes you feel less alone. Whatever the impact, you rarely forget it. Likewise with my favourite films especially, what I love most about them, is the escapism that they afford me. My favourite films are curated by my personal tastes, interests, likes, loves, and I know for me personally I can spot the reoccurring theme that binds them together almost instantly.

For me, film is escapism. I select my film choice according to the places I want to go, the people I want to see, the words I want to hear, the story I want to be exposed to, the thoughts I want to provoke, the feelings I want to feel, the messages I need reminding of. Film is a gateway to inspiration, a reminder of my virtues and what's important to me, a giver of hope. It's a world for me to escape into and lose myself within, it's a confirmation, it's a better place, it's a celebration of life and all things good about it. Even now, just thinking about it, I'm somewhat amazed at how closely my favourite film choices reflect me as a person. I see myself in every single one. I also see stages of my life marked by some of these films too. I remember the way they changed me. It's lovely.

So to celebrate film, and the classy art of cinematic inspiration, I'd love to share with you some of my favourite film choices, aka my favourite forms of escapism, for you to peruse. And hopefully it might inspire you to take a chance and watch a few of them too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HMMMMMMMMM....

THE EDUCATION
A celebratory exploration of youth, set against the vibrant swinging sixties of London, artfully intertwined with the lazy, effortless beauty of Parisian chic. Think mod culture, pretty dresses, bouffant hair, slick suits, a rich dose of selfish indulgence, sweeping architectural landscapes and a hearty sense of adventure.

THE BREAKFAST CLUB
The perfect representation of 80's American culture. Mom jeans, baggy polo jumpers, battered trainers, social stereotypes, the discovery of sushi and old school classics serving as the soundtrack. Also a moving and incredibly important coming of age film that's a core cinematic watch. Full of laughter, emotion, love, friendship, a ton of thought provoking dialogues and the gorgeous Judd Nelson. A film that touches the heart and once watched, can never be forgotten.

A ROMAN HOLIDAY
This beautiful monochrome film depicts the serenity and enticing allure of 1950's Rome, filled with detailed European architecture, famous landmarks, motor scooters, gorgeous clothes, delicious food, the proud essence of Italy and a prevalent air of sophistication. What's more, the wonderful story line gracefully guides you on a whistle-stop tour, whilst paying homage to the sheer talent and beauty of its stars Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck.

LOST IN TRANSLATION
A peaceful, simple yet somewhat stirring film, that effortlessly twirls in and out of the electric hum and natural wonders of Japanese culture. Lots of magical, cinematic shots of Tokyo and neighbouring cities are expertly intertwined to serve as the backdrop to this touching film. Exploring the simple yet incredibly fulfilling beauty of friendship, Lost In Translation also shows how, when the joy of being with loved ones is combined with the energy of adventure and exploration, it can help us to find ourselves somewhere along the way.

500 DAYS OF SUMMER
A unique take on the stereotypical love story, told honestly, comically, beautifully and non linearly. Filled with the warmth of California, illustrated by the concrete jungle of inner city LA, guided by a perfectly attuned soundtrack, and beautified with stunningly cinematic segments of filming. Also raises a thought provoking nod to the notions of soulmates, fate and platonic love. A personal favourite.

NICK AND NORAH'S INFINITE PLAYLIST
An ode to those magical, exciting, promising, friendship filled nights of youth, where seemingly anything and everything is possible. When all the words in the universe lie on the tip of your tongue. When your heart is full with an endless supply of love. When your eyes are bright and glazed with hope. When the world is a kingdom waiting solely for you. This film is all those things in one, depicting a bizarre night time adventure in the heart of a twinkling New York City.

SUBMARINE
A film that unapologetically criss crosses back on forth, dancing on the parameters of curiosity and peculiarity. A nostalgic, witty, awe inducing, cinematic celebration of the pitfalls, struggles and glory of youth, combined with those fervent pursuits of finding yourself and figuring out the world's secrets. Also has the dreamiest soundtrack ever in the world ever.

ME, EARL & THE DYING GIRL
A incredibly moving story build around a highly sensitive topic, cleverly told with an endearing honesty, a mixture of interesting film formats, and punctuated with aesthetic shots of Pittsburgh city and suburbia. Takes the worst parts of life and reconstructs them in an innovative fashion, ultimately giving you a new perspective and realisation that nothing is as bad as it seems.Those core notions of love, friendship, family, laughter, meaningful conversation, the simple things in life, have the power to overcome and withstand anything.

CLUELESS
90's filled goodness. Everything good about the decade sublimely intertwined into one, with the cultural repercussions still very much evident in today's society. Funny, clever, fashionable, endearing, brimming with Californian spirit and sunshine, and an encouraging nod to girl power.



VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA
A peculiar, gripping and intriguing film, that brilliantly depicts and makes use of the fiery and tranquil elements of Span and its culture. Also an interesting exploration of love and its crossover with one's sanity, wellbeing and discovery of self.



HER
A futuristic, utterly beautiful, very thought provoking film that ultimately highlights the core essence of humanity, and what it means to be human. Gripping visuals, superb acting, and an interesting, very relevant concept, in particular the questioning of the rise and increasing dominance of technology, alongside our dependence on it.

CINDERELLA
A dazzling, aesthetically rich, awe inducing re-telling of the classic Disney story, filled with colour, movement, magic, hope, love and possibility. A true guilty pleasure that perfectly and effortlessly glitters away from start to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...