Thursday 5 February 2015

Adrian Tomine


ADRIAN TOMINE

Honestly, truthfully, I don't really remember where I first discovered the work of Adrian Tomine. The only clue I have is a scribbled down note with his name on it, which I definitely wrote at some point during a light-bulb moment of inspiration, assuming I'd definitely remember where I was when inspiration struck. Fast forward a certain period of time and you have me googling this mysterious name, only to find lots and lots of wonderful cartoon-esque and illustrative artwork. So as it turns out, Adrian Tomine is a rather popular American artist and cartoonist, with his own comic series Optic Nerve and an impressive collection of drawings done for the infamous magazine, The New Yorker. Adrian's professional status as artist would explain the scribbled down note, as I'm always jotting down the names of artists whose work I discover as I go about my life. The world is full of so many sources of creativity and artistic genius, and yet we often don't realise until we start to pay closer attention. Adrian is just one example, because like I said, although I've got a complete mind blank as to where I first saw his work, by paying attention to the world around me, I found an artist who clearly made an impact, seeing as I'm sat here writing a blog post about it now. Isn't it awesome!

Anyhow, I love the highly illustrative style of Adrian's work, and the way he captures everyday scenes in such a way that they look like a beautiful hybrid between the modern day digital art phenomena, and the old school Roy Lichtenstein/ Andy Warhol lead pop art scene. His work is so modern, refreshing and innovative, and yet it's also so retro, classic and timeless. The colours are prominent and yet neutral, the lines clear cut and bold, the subject matter simple and yet oh so intriguing. The more I look through his work, the more I understand why I wrote down Adrian's name, and the more glad I am that I actually paid attention for once, and as a result found something amazing that I also get to share with you lovely readers. So to celebrate finding amazing things in the most unlikeliest of places, here are some of my favourite Adrian Tomine pieces...

(all images belong to Adrian Tomine & are taken from the link above)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...