Friday 20 May 2016

May Music


MAY MUSIC

Woo. Time for another music post. I used to write these kinds of music posts all the time, way back in the day, whereas now they only seem to come round once in a blue moon, or at least that's how it feels. But hey, something is always better than nothing, right? It's weird because music is such a massive and extremely important part of my life, however I don't seem to feel as inclined to share my musical endeavours any more. It's not so much that I want to keep things to myself. I think it's more that I'm enjoying all this music so, so much, and I've got these same records on repeat, with the collection every growing, that I just forget to share my love for them elsewhere. So you can rest easy at night, dear readers, because although I may not write about music as much as I used to (the last time was back in March!), I'm definitely keeping up with my daily music intake, as my neighbours can vouch for me (I just know they love it when I start attempting my Beyonce).

Many of the songs on this list I have been playing non stop this month, to the extent that when I look back on May 2016, I know without question that these songs will automatically start playing in my mind. They will accompany the memories, and the things that I did, and reflect the way I was feeling. For many of the songs, I remember exactly when I heard them for the first time. I remember where I was, what I was doing, and how they made me feel. And that's always been one of my favourite things about music. As someone who struggles to recount specific past memories on the spot, I find that music is a gentle little alleviator that seems to magically illuminate the memories stored in the archives of my mind, and feed them through into my consciousness, one by one. In a way, music narrates my life. I listen to music and it takes me right back to very specific times, places, instances, almost like time travel. And it's weird how the songs we encounter today will be the songs that that define our yesterday, and all these specific instances in our lives, and when tomorrow comes, these songs that we're only just discovering will be recalled with meaning, nostalgia, affection. We form a connection with the music that we listen to, and it means something different to all of us. And I think that's really special.

As usual, the playlist below is completely bonkers and illogical and combines a whole host of different genres, artists, eras, but I think that every single song is so lush, and dazzling, and stunning, that they fully deserve a spot on this list. There's generally quite a happy vibe going on, and most of them are absolute t.u.n.e.s. So much so that when I heard them for the first time, I was nodding my head in eager approval, thanking the lord that I'm lucky enough to be alive in a time when all this amazing music is available for me to listen to, and especially glad that I'm here at the same time as Beyonce's Lemonade album. So as you can probable tell, from the list below there are a few stand out favourites for me, including The 1975 (they just keep getting better and better!), Queen B, Tom Odell, The Last Shadow Puppets, Meghan Trainor, First Aid Kit and Tame Impala. And in terms of old classics Elvis and Paul Simon are two favourites of mine at the moment.

But I won't harp on any more though, because music is for listening to, after all. So take a browse, see what takes your fancy, have a listen and make your world that little bit better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAPPY LISTENING :-)

A CHANGE OF HEART
THE 1975

HOLD UP
BEYONCE

AMERICA
FIRST AID KIT

DIAMONDS ON THE SOLES OF HER SHOES
PAUL SIMON

SOMEHOW
TOM ODELL

BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER
ELVIS & THE PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA

NEW PERSON, SAME OLD MISTAKES
TAME IMPALA

TILL I REGAIN CONTROL AGAIN
EMMYLOU HARRIS

NO
MEGHAN TRAINOR

GET READY
THE TEMPTATIONS

THIS WILL BE (AN EVERLASTING LOVE)
NATALIE COLE

LET EM IN'
PAUL MCCARTNEY & WINGS

WORK THIS BODY
WALK THE MOON

HERE I AM
TOM ODELL

THE BOURNE IDENTITY
THE LAST SHADOW PUPPETS

ONE DANCE
DRAKE

GET AWAY
BLOSSOMS


PIECE OF ME
MK & BECKY HILL

THERE WILL BE TIME
MUMFORD & SONS FT BAABA MAAL

OLD SKOOL
METRONOMY

ALL FOR ONE
THE STONE ROSES

FILL IN THE BLANK
CAR SEAT HEADREST

THE SUMMER
SPRING KING


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...