Friday 20 November 2015

10 Reasons Why Stevie Nicks Is Queen


10 REASONS WHY STEVIE NICKS IS QUEEN

Late last night I rather irrationally decided that an hour before midnight would be a fabulous time to start some work. So if you were to have peeked in through a window of my life, right then and there, you would've found me sat at my desk, pen in hand, scribbling down lecture notes and intensely bopping to the most amazing playlist on Spotify, called Sassy & Classy (more on that next time). Where was the logic in this decision? I don't really know. I'd just had some friends round for pizza and a catch up, it was getting late, I was tired, I had uni the next day, but lo and behold, my brain decided to chuck logic right out the window and do the most illogical thing imaginable. Anyway, the whole point why I'm telling you this is because although in theory, this peculiar decision of mine didn't really make much sense, it actually proved to be a rather great decision because I firstly finished a lecture I had to go through, and secondly, I ended up listening to some Stevie Nicks (because naturally she was on the Sassy & Classy playlist- why would she not be).

You may have already gauged from previous posts, but I'm a big Stevie Nicks/ Fleetwood Mac fan (eg. see here, or here). I think she's incredible. The absolute bees knees. I only really got into her properly this year, after resolutely ignoring my Dad whenever he mentioned how great she was year after consecutive year. I don't know if he was sub-consciously planting a seed in my head, in the hopes that it would one day help me grow into a big Stevie Nicks fan, or that she would one day become as important to me, as she is to him. But either way, this year in particular, the year when I finally discovered Stevie for myself, and of my own accord too, her and her music have actually become a rather important part of my life. Stevie Nicks has become the icon I didn't even realise I was missing. So late last night, whilst my brain sent my hand the task of distractedly writing notes about motor neurone disease, the rest of my mind preoccupied itself with thinking about just how damn awesome Stevie Nicks is. And so, with the help of a that glorious late night mental creativity and fluidity, where such a thing as mental blocks are purely a figment of the imagination, I had that amazing light bulb moment: I decided I would write a blog post about the top ten reasons why Stevie Nicks is queen right then and there. Screw motor neurone disease, there were more important things to write about.

Naturally fatigue took over before that spark of initiative had chance to take hold, (I didn't manage to stay up long past midnight in the end), so I'm back to finish what I started now. Ten reasons why Stevie Nicks is Queen, just like I promised, and you don't understand how hard it's been to refrain from gushing all those reasons why in these three opening paragraphs. Therefore I shall refrain no more, dear readers, and instead I will splurge all those reasons out into a nice compact, direct list below. And if you're still not sure just what the big deal is with Stevie Nicks, I strongly urge you to whack her name in You Tube or Spotify and take a listen for yourself. She really is Queen. I'm not kidding.

http://rockalittle.com/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE REASONS WHY:

001. She's a human powerhouse, with the most gorgeous, gravelly, distinct, powerful, emotive voice.
002. She wrote nearly all of what are, in my opinion anyway, Fleetwood Mac's best songs.
003. She went on American Horror Story at the age of 65 and was absolutely kick ass.
004. She took the male dominated music industry by storm. When she wasn't able to fully express herself fully, and was limited creatively with Fleetwood Mac, she went solo and firmly shut up all the haters by going straight to number one with her first solo album Bella Donna
005. She's a proper girls girl and a total advocate of girl power too. She's proof to all girls everywhere that just because you're a girl, you should never ever let that hold you back. We're just as strong, capable, empowered.
006. She writes songs about actual real life, talks absolute sense and doesn't contort the truth. All the good, all the bad, she's experienced it all and writes about it so honestly. When I listen to her music I'm like 'ah, finally, someone who understands'. Likewise, Stevie's music helps me to make sense of my emotions when I'm struggling to do it myself.
007. She's a sassy, single, independent woman and is proof that you can be perfectly content and happy and amazing on your own. 
008. When Mick Fleetwood first spotted Lindsey Buckingham, he was reluctant to let Stevie join the band with him too. However after she joined, Fleetwood Mac ended up getting craaaazy successful (#girlpower)
009. She doesn't let people hold her back or pressure her into doing something she doesn't want to do. She lives by her own rules, as did she work damn hard to establish the monumental career she's had so far.
010 She's honest about the mistakes she's made, things she shouldn't have done, or should have done differently and completely turned her life around and changed for the better.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...