Wednesday 14 October 2015

10 Things That Have Made Me Happy

-A random photo I found a couple of months ago of me as a baby surrounded by some of my family-

10 THINGS THAT HAVE MADE ME HAPPY

Good news dear readers. Things are looking up. The sun is shining. I'm feeling pretty darn amazing. The tailcoats of last week ended up giving way to a rather lovely weekend in Manchester spent with people I love, and a new week full of positive changes and differences, more special moments spent with people I care about... It never ceases to amaze me how quickly thing can turn around. How life can present you with so much good and so much difficulty, and do so in such an interchangeable way. There really is no point in dwelling in the negatives, because it's never too long before a whole load of positives come flooding your way once again. Another reason to smile and be happy is nudged your way. 

You may recall me mentioning previously, but I vowed at the weekend to make a change to the way I was doing things. To not be knocked down by life's difficulties. I realised that in order to proceed forward, I had to suck it up, stop moping around at my one person pity party, rise to the challenge and come back fighting even stronger and more determined than ever. So I started with small things and gradually built it up, and come Monday morning, I threw myself into the deep end and started to go about enforcing the changes I'd vowed to make. And the honest truth is that it was one of the best decisions I've ever made, and the results I reaped just by making those little changes were so incredible. I couldn't quite comprehend the turn around that had happened. How had I gone from the person I was last week, to the brand new improved version of me now? How had those little changes gone on to make such a massive difference, and so quickly too? I still don't really understand now, but being able to tell people how happy I am, how I've managed to turn things around, to be able to say I really am okay now and mean it, to be able to give them good, positive news, is so fulfilling. And so in line with the happiness I'm feeling right now, I decided not to do the work I actually need to do, and instead jot down the 10 things that have made me most happy this week, because it seemed way more appealing and I want to remember this particular moment in my life. Likewise I really wanted to share it with you lovely people too, in the hope that it reminds you that things aren't always as bad as they seem, and that it inspires you to be brave enough to make those changes to your life and not look back.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MY TOP TEN

001. Spending time with my friends
This last week I've been lucky enough to do some really nice things with my lovely, lovely friends, and it's such a simple thing, spending time with the people you care about most, and yet it makes me feel ridiculously content. Likewise this week in particular has shown me how strong some of my friendships actually are, as well as make me appreciate them even more. I'm not a millionaire but in the sense of being surrounded by such amazing people, I feel like the luckiest person in the world. 

002. The looming promise of my favourite time of year
When I was walking to the train station the other morning, I happened to pass by uni and noticed that they'd begun decorating the trees with fairy lights. It reminded me off this time last year, the run up to Christmas and the beauty of autumn, my absolute favourite season. All the wonderful things I did with equally wonderful people. That delectable magic in the air. Manchester is really quite something at this time of year, and I love that I get to spend another year here in the midst of it all once again.

003. Nutella Waffles
Anyone who has ever had the misfortune of coming to a pudding themed eatery with me (aka. my idea of haven) will know that I get a nutella waffle ever single time without fail. I am something of a waffle aficionado to say the least, and the lure of the waffle consistently proves too strong for me to resist whenever I am in close proximity. On Friday evening, as my rather full on week came to a close and later inspired this massive post, I was not feeling too good. I was rather emotionally drained and disillusioned with life, however with my sister coming up for the weekend I was forced to put all that emotion to one side and persevere onwards. I had promised her previously that we would go for pudding at my favourite haunt Gelato Passion, and seeing as I'm not one to break my promises, nor can I resist the lure of pudding, our Friday night pursuit for pudding went ahead as planned. And naturally I got my nutella waffle as per usual. And you know what, it sounds crazy but that nutella waffle was exactly what I needed to help put things into perspective. It was exactly what I needed to stop moping around feeling sorry for myself, enjoy everything I do have going well for me in life, and get on with changing the things that aren't going so well. So all praise the waffle, all praise the waffle indeed.

004. Watching live music in intimate venues
Once again I've been lucky enough to acquire a radio show on Fuse FM (more on that to come!) and the joy I feel is so immense, because doing my radio show is one of the best things to ever happen to me ever. And I'm ridiculously grateful that once again I have this chance to do something that makes me so, so happy. Radio gods, you're amazing. And what's more, because I'm part of the Fuse FM team, I've been able to go to some of their recent socials, one of which was at the Fallow Cafe down in my old first year stomping ground Fallowfield. It was so, so nice to mix with other people doing radio, as did I have a fantastic pint of cider and finish off my night with cheesy chips from Kebab King (always the best way to end a night). However my favourite part of the night had to be watching that night's in-house band, Cassia Sounds, play live to us. I used to go to local gigs when I was at school and college, but it seems like such a long time ago now. So having the chance to listen to great new music by great new artists, and in such gorgeously intimate settings as well, was a real treat. As did it make me feel that excitement and promise of being a student on the cusp of something amazing all over again.

005. Discovering Bob Dylan
In particular his gorgeous duet with Johnny Cash (another favourite of mine), Girl From The North Country, which happened to pop up on my iPod as I was walking to placement yesterday morning. A couple of months ago I also stumbled across The Times They Are A Changin' and Mr Tambourine Man, as have I known some of his other classics such as Blowin' In The World essentially all my life, unbeknown to me. I remember reading somewhere once that Bob Dylan is an artist who divides opinion. You either like him and his unique musical and lyrical prowess, or you don't. At the time I didn't understand just why that was so, and to be honest, having now exposed myself to more of his music, I still don't really understand it. To me his music is simply incredible. I don't understand what's not to like about it. Discovering Bob Dylan has been akin to when I discovered The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, The Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash... all the music greats that completely revolutionise the way you perceive and appreciate music. And although I'm only on the cusp of the burgeoning Bob Dylan phase, I just know that I'm going to be enjoying his music for a long, long time to come. It's that special feeling, once again, that I'm discovering a soul that's similar to mine, and I love it.

006. Peanut Butter Mug Cake (and peanut butter in general)
Wowee, how great are my photography skills here. Anyway, that obviously isn't remotely the point. The most important thing is that discovering peanut butter mug cake back in August with my friend, has revolutionised my life. I don't know who or what I'd be without it. My housemate from Hong Kong still can't quite understand our adoration for it, but there really is no better feeling than coming in from a long, tiring day and knocking up a quick peanut butter mug cake. You only need 1 egg, a few scoops of peanut butter, and a little bit of sugar, and you mix it all together, pop it in the microwave for a minute or two, and voila, heaven just called to say a quick hello in your mug. Brilliant. And in other peanut butter related news, I am now on to my second jar of the stuff having consumed my first ever jar in less than a week and a half. Wahey. 

007. Late Sunday afternoons in Manchester
Ever since October last year, when I spent the most wonderful Sunday afternoon in Manchester with my family, I have had the sweetest spot of affection for spending that particular day of the week immersed in the beauty of that rather marvellous city. Sunday afternoons are now my absolute favourite time to be in the heart of the city. I still can't quite describe or explain why, because I don't even know myself. Maybe it's because it's my favourite day of the week. Maybe it's because Manchester is one of my favourite cities. I don't know. It's just this feeling I get when I'm there. It's the sweetest little feeling. And now that I'm back, I've been able to indulge in that special pastime all over again, and indulge I have been indeed. With my camera in hand I've been exploring the city, visiting my favourite places, discovering new favourite places, going from one end of the city to the other, and I'm still spotting new places to tick off the list even now. The best thing about the city is it's endless secrets and majesty just waiting for you to discover, and like the most avid of explorers, that's a challenge I accept so wholeheartedly. 

008. Pumpkin Spiced Latte
I still don't really like coffee, and it still makes me feel sick and gives me a headache whenever I drink it. But that can easily be overlooked just for ten minutes or so, where having a pumpkin spiced latte from Starbucks is concerned. At the weekend a few of us Derby gals made our way through those hallowed doors in pursuit of a warm beverage to heat us up, and I instantly clapped eyes on the pumpkin spiced latte and knew that I just had to have it. No tea would this girl be drinking for once. And it wasn't a decision I regret, because in terms of warming me up it most certainly did, likewise it tasted so lovely and made me feel so cosy and autumnal too.

009. The love of my family
With things being a bit tough for me recently, I've found myself dependent on my family a lot more than usual. And as always, they've never once failed to be there for me whenever and if ever I should need them. Just one text, one call, one visit away. I'm quite an independent person, and I like to think that I can look after and care for myself. I like to think I don't need the support of my family like I used to, I'm doing just fine on my own, but every now and again I'm reminded of how much I still need and cherish their input in my life. I may not always need their help or guidance, but even just being able to call them up and tell them about my day, see how they are, being able to text them in the morning as we all go about our day, seeing my sister when she came to visit... it's all so precious to me. Realising that you're surrounded by people who genuinely love and care about you, no matter the distance between you, people who would drop everything to be there for you at a moments notice, who would stand out in the cold so that they could listen to your problems, who want to know that you're okay, who would travel two hours on the train to come visit you. It's amazing. Truly amazing. And it's sometimes hard to convey just how appreciative I am, but I truly am. Every single day.

010. Making change happen
After the events of last week, this week I vowed to make changes and do things differently. I decided to turn over a new leaf, be the instigator of change, fight back, and it's amazing to see the difference it  Until quite recently I used to be quite complacent, accept the cards that were dealt to me, fall at hurdles and struggle to rise again once more. I never truly realised the influence and control I had over my life. I wasn't consciously aware of the fact that I could change the course of things, make things happen for myself, take control of my happiness. Once I realised all these things, my life literally changed for the better, in ways that I could never have imagined in my wildest dreams. Being proactive has made all the difference to me as a person and my life in general. I haven't always gotten what I wanted, and things haven't always worked out how I hoped, but I always think to myself, better an oh well than a what if. Even if I fail, at least I can say I tried. And if I succeed, well then the victory is even sweeter because I worked hard for it, and I made it happen myself.

2 comments:

  1. Aww thank you Anni, I really appreciate your lovely comment & that you took the time to look at my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...