Sunday 2 October 2016

Ryo Takemasa


RYO TAKEMASA

The other day I was walking around the Northern Quarter and I popped into Magma, which is stocked full of gorgeous publications and arty illustrative pieces. Now I love absolutely everything in that shop, and I could happily spend millions of hours looking at every little thing instead, but on this particular occasion I was instantly taken by these gorgeous prints done by the Japanese artist Ryo Takemasa. The 'Cities In Seasons' collection has been created by Ryo especially for Magma, and depicts major cities across the world in Ryo's gorgeous, textured, signature illustrative style. They're so beautiful and immersive, vibrant and exciting, modern and refreshing, as is the rest of Ryo's work.

Ryo is based in Tokyo and has been a freelance illustrator since 2010, having graduated from Musashino Art School. I personally love his style because it seems to depict the world in such a wholesome, dreamlike way. It's like real life undergoes a metamorphis under Ryo's artistic vision, and comes out the other side as a perfect fantasy. Through his work Ryo highlights those most simple and often mundane of scenes, and presents them to us from a completely different perspective. He picks out key colours and blends them in a harmonious and succinct palette. He deftly defines lines and shapes, and manipulates the geometry of the image to bring it to life, so effortlessly transforming 2D into 3D. He captures that feel of natural light, he incorporates texture so prominently and expertly, and he has a special way of highlighting the little pockets of beauty that lie waiting to be appreciated in the world around us. 

I adore illustrators like Ryo for the way their artwork makes me feel. The memories it triggers, the feelings it ignites, the way my heart feels blissfully content, the sensory stimulation it evokes in my brain. The way it makes me feel excited to be alive, and encourages me to try and see the world in a different, more pleasing and meaningful manner. To me, there really isn't anything better.

ALL ARTWORK BELONGS TO RYO TAKEMASA, & YOU CAN FIND MORE LOVELY ARTWORK HERE

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ARTWORK














No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...